• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cooking my first pellet smoker brisket…

GAK9

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
36   0
Reaction score
I’ve cooked numerous briskets, almost exclusively on off set wood smokers, and I have used a Kamado smoker (which wasn’t my favorite) but tonight I put this brisket on my Recteq pellet smoker. I’m really hoping it comes out better than the Kamado smoker did. It wasn’t terribly dry, but could have been juicier.

Planning on taking the brisket to work tomorrow (Wednesday) for my last day at that job (I start a new one in the 2nd.) I’m doing it as a thank you to my coworkers and my boss (he’s a really great guy and friend.)

For a side I’m making baked beans (glad I won’t be there Thursday) with little pieces of bacon stirred in. Just before I put it on the smoker tomorrow morning, I’m thinking about pouring a 1/4 cup of bourbon over the beans and cooking them for about 90 minutes or so. Just a little worried that the alcohol won’t all cook off. Any thoughts?

IMG_8709.jpeg

My 2 cents, others will disagree. I am assuming by the pics that is a whole packers brisket? Cook it fat side down to protect it from the hot plate of the pellet grill. At 140° wrap it in butchers paper to finish...foil if you must. Save the rendered fat in that pan to drizzle over it when finished, it will be the only forgiveness you get for any dry-er pieces that you may find. I cooked a 15lb'er a while back, took 20 hours. Was it the best brisket I have ever had?...No, but it was the best one I have ever cooked and everyone loved it! I wish you luck, you have balls cooking a piece like that for a crowd without ever trying it before!!! YOU GOT THIS!!!

My 2 cents, others will disagree. I am assuming by the pics that is a whole packers brisket? Cook it fat side down to protect it from the hot plate of the pellet grill. At 140° wrap it in butchers paper to finish...foil if you must. Save the rendered fat in that pan to drizzle over it when finished, it will be the only forgiveness you get for any dry-er pieces that you may find. I cooked a 15lb'er a while back, took 20 hours. Was it the best brisket I have ever had?...No, but it was the best one I have ever cooked and everyone loved it! I wish you luck, you have balls cooking a piece like that for a crowd without ever trying it before!!! YOU GOT THIS!!!
Yes, it's a whole packer brisket, 15 lbs. I have a catch pan under the racks to catch the drippings. I'm planning to wrap it at the 6 hour mark (learned that from Aaron Franklin). With all the Christmas shopping, I forgot to buy butcher paper, so it'll have to be wrapped in foil. If it doesn't get to about 180 by about 6 a.m., I'll crank up the heat a bit.

Son in law did a few on his pellet that turned out gr8 👍

I think they still use it for ribs, but the briskets get put on the bigger wood smoker nowdays.
So far, my favorites on a pellet smoker are wings and butts. Steaks are good, but I cant get a great char on them without direct exposure to the flame. Hopefully, this brisket becomes another favorite.

Thats the one, i used that video and one other recipe in conjunction. I didn't re-watch the video, but if i am not mistaken he says he leaves the fat side up. I would not do that. I have made several of these now and I will always go fat side down and wrapped at 140°. But I do believe he says to save the fat trimmings and cook them along with the brisket making "liquid gold". I don't save the fat indefinitely, but it is a lifesaver if you happen to have slightly dry results.

Thats the one, i used that video and one other recipe in conjunction. I didn't re-watch the video, but if i am not mistaken he says he leaves the fat side up. I would not do that. I have made several of these now and I will always go fat side down and wrapped at 140°. But I do believe he says to save the fat trimmings and cook them along with the brisket making "liquid gold". I don't save the fat indefinitely, but it is a lifesaver if you happen to have slightly dry results.
Yeah, I've always cooked my briskets fat side down. Hopefully, I'll have a good amount of fat in the catch pan to help out.

Back
Top Bottom