• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Smoking a Brisket

I do a pretty decent Texas style rub with kosher salt + a mix of fresh ground black pepper and coarse ground black pepper rub on my brisket. About mid way through the cook time, I'll pull and wrap the brisket until it finishes out. Since I went to this method, they have been perfect every time.

I do a pretty decent Texas style rub with kosher salt + a mix of fresh ground black pepper and coarse ground black pepper rub on my brisket. About mid way through the cook time, I'll pull and wrap the brisket until it finishes out. Since I went to this method, they have been perfect every time.

when I wrap mine I add a cup of apple juice , help keep it moist and adds a nice flavor,

I have to admit, I just got a smoker and have only run a few things through it. I did a butt and a shoulder and I thought for SURE I had ruined them both times, by letting the heat run too much and cooking them too fast. I don't know how or why but neither one could have been more juicey. Put the shoulder in last week before church and just turned it on and left. It ran close to 300 for hours before I saw it. I figured, great, that's a charcoal brick. It was aboslutely PERFECT. No idea, dumb luck or whatever but I'm not complaining.

300 is really not a problem. I usually run my Bubba Keg between 225 & 300 when smoking and never have an issue. I have found the secret is to having a remote meat thermometer. It will keep you out of trouble and help you understand the cooking process. I usually cook chicken & turkey to 170 internal, brisket to 205, and Boston Butt around 195-200. Comes out perfect every time.

One thing I do recommend is to calibrate your smoker's thermometer in a pot of boiling water. Most are off from the factory by 20-30 degrees and most dials can be adjusted to correspond to the boiling water's temp of 212 degrees.

Ahhh, the old "Texas Crutch" method! I usually wrap when the internal temp hits 165. Usually only takes about 2 hours more. When I pull it out, I leave it sealed in the foil and wrap it in towels and let it rest a couple of hours inside a warm cooler before serving. It will still be plenty hot, so gives you time before guests arrive. Like you said, perfect every time!

Last edited:
when I wrap mine I add a cup of apple juice , help keep it moist and adds a nice flavor,

I didn't have any Apple juice or beer the last time I smoked a brisket, so I improvised and added a cup of fresh brewed coffee to the foil wrap. I thought it might be too strong, but my guests were all asking what my secret ingredient was, so I guess it turned out ok! Made a really tasty Au Jus to dip their Texas toast into! You'd never guess coffee was part of the mix.

Back
Top Bottom