• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

SHTF in metro suburbs

As I have stated before:

We are on a thin lifeline. We call that lifeline "oil."

If that flow stops or is disrupted for a significant period, watch out! Modern society will collapse inside a month. If that happens, I am gonna dig a hole and hide. Modern society is 95% predicated on plentiful, cheap oil.

-And they are having another "revolution" in Egypt. Let's all hope that "Arab spring" stuff never, ever makes it to Saudi. If it did, we would see that lifeline snap. And quick.

So you’re looking into an economic collapse as your SHTF scenario. The first thing you’re going to see is the Govt. printing money like toilet paper. Inflation could hit triple digits. Think of filling your gas tank for $450. People may work as long as they can. The barter system will become strong. I see ammo as the new dollar. Panic will set in. You see it in people’s faces when they can’t find milk at the grocery store and the weatherman says we may have a day or two of ice. This would take a month to several years.
The electrical grid will start to have black outs as the unattended generators fail. Whatever food is storage will begin to spoil. This is when you see the thin veneer of civility peel back and people turn on each other. One week after the electrical grid failure you will see people scavenging for food. Two weeks later gangs will be formed to provide for their members. The interconnected society we live in falls one domino at a time.
As far as the National Guard, I hope they’re around at least enough to stop the first couple of months of gangs and looters. This will save the prepared a lot of their ammo supplies. As soon as the military disappears things get very bad. Example would be the superdome after Katrina hit.
IMO hunker down where you are. Movement makes you more vulnerable to attack. Most people think the mountains are the land of milk and honey. If you look in the south you will find the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee is one of the most desirable places to be when SHTF. But is still think it is best to hunker down where you are and travel when things settle down a bit.

I really think oil is the key.

The more you think about how much of modern life comes from oil, the scarier it gets. Modern people can't do anything for themselves. They generally can't farm, hunt, or fish effectively enough to feed themselves.

I think that if Saudi were to fall, the clock would start ticking. Saudi Arabia has 30% to 40% of the current output, and about 100% of excess capacity. If that were to go offline, it would be far worse than just an economic mess. You can bet that the govt. wouldn't let civilians have a drop of the Strategic Petroleum Reserves-certainly not enough to prevent a real SHTF scenario.

The way I see it, the weakest link in our system is transportation. Much of our food travels the last leg of its journey on tractor trailers. Once the oil stops flowing, those trucks stop moving. When those trucks stop, we have two to three weeks before all the helpless urban and suburban souls start looking for food. There will be many millions of the-all as helpless as infants (far as providing for themselves goes) and they will be hungry, armed and pissed off.

I certainly wouldn't depend on the National Guard to help the average Joe at all. They would have to protect Hospitals, Govt. buildings, and military bases. They would be stretched too thin to do any police work. (There are also legal and constitutional problems with doing so.)

It would get ugly. And I think it is only a matter of time before Saudi does fall. That place is a powder keg. It is about the last real monarchy in the world, and it is struggling to keep the lid on runaway Islamic Jihadism.

Last edited:
Well let's see, 85 would be a mess. Stopped. Totally useless. 285 and 75 the same. You now have hundreds of thousands of people stuck on a road, funneling into the neares exit trying to find water, food, shelter, whatever. I don't see it reaching where I live very fast, exit 120 off 85, then 10 mins down the road.

Duluth...you're f'd :D

guys, all i can say is, you need to step outside of your current reality and realize what will happen and how fast it will happen....grocery stores have about 3 days of food for normal shopping...ever been to the store a few hours after snow starts falling?...what if replenishment isn't coming?....all of these gov't dependents can't make it from one ebt refill to the next now,do you really think they will wait 2 or 3 weeks to riot and loot if they don't get their checks?...the depression isn't a good comparison because there was no gov't welfare going in,nearly everyone had a garden,nearly everyone canned,the entitlement mentality wasn't so pervasive...compare that to the current situation...how many of YOU have gardens?...when you have 45 million people dependent on gov't for food and they suddenly don't get it (and they were out already) are they going to sit at home and wait or are they going to riot for their "rights"?

20 to one says Coweta County Sheriff's dept blocks off I 85 south and the other routes in like the bridge over the chatahootchie...

My neighbor "hood" more of a rural community will be ok. Horse, mule and carts are ready. Bicycles ready. Food and ammo ready.

When this thing goes down, you're going to have about 72 hours. After that the chaos will start to settle in and things will become more vicious. Every doper on the street will be off their high at that point. Everyone that could have fled most likely will have by then. Empty houses will be looted, as will stores, gas stations, cars will be stolen just to get away from the city....

IF it is a nationwide event, the govt will not be able to control it everywhere. They will concentrate in the nations capital and a few major cities. The smaller cities - those 300K and less will be on their own.

Nasty guard will show then go home as they realise their families are in danger, or not show at all. Some police will just leave the job.

Why do I think that this is what will happen? I saw it happen to New Orleans in 2005....

Back
Top Bottom