• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

SHTF in metro suburbs

the most likely scenario is the gov't finally runs out of other peoples' money and the gov't checks don't come...the ebt cards don't get filled...these people are already totally dependent on the gov't and they are going to be rioting in the streets when that happens...and every store will be cleaned out in a few hours...after 2 or 3 months,most of the people who did nothing in advance to get ready will be dead...

The way I see it, the weakest link in our system is transportation. Much of our food travels the last leg of its journey on tractor trailers. Once the oil stops flowing, those trucks stop moving. When those trucks stop, we have two to three weeks before all the helpless urban and suburban souls start looking for food. There will be many millions of the-all as helpless as infants (far as providing for themselves goes) and they will be hungry, armed and pissed off....

My wife and I have discussed what will happen if things get REALLY bad. At first we thought that all the lazy moochers taking from the government will actually have to get off their butts, put down their Nintendos and potato chips, and work. We slowly came to realize that a large majority of these people are either too lazy/'entitled'/incompetent to actually make this decision. They will likely raid the stores, loot and steal, but they are generally too lazy to move outside of a relatively small geographic area- and they tend to live in clusters. Eventually they will most likely be dead if resources are not restored, either through lack of effort or they receive justice from those defending their own.

If it happened today, I believe the media would do everything in its power to make the current administration look good even after it falls on its arse. MSM will initially portray it as isolated or minor incidents. Oh the political games will increase!!!!

I feel that many in the media tend to favor authoritarianism (as long as it comes from the left, of course), so they will likely be cheerleaders, practically begging the guvmint to come in and "restore order". Most of them are incapable of taking care of themselves, much less anyone else.

I think there is no question that it would get bad-fast.

If you have read "One Second After" you get the idea, but I find one major flaw with that book: People essentially starved without much fighting. There was a battle or two, but if any SHTF scenario went on for a long time like that, I think it would be far worse far faster. I would say a very few weeks before a serious problem with rioting would occur. And people won't be content to shoot up East Point, they will travel for dey plundering!

-Let's all hope nothing like this ever happens, but our collective ass sure is flapping in the breeze with our dependency on oil-as well as the grid.

Well sir, I live in the mountains of East Tennessee, and there is absolutely no fear from anyone up here about your "total economic collapse" projection. We have root cellars for bunches of vegetables, smokehouses for meat we have already "put up", whitetail deer, rabbits, quail, grouse, and last but not least plenty of ammunition! So...... "you-ins" take care of that mess down there; we'll be thinking about you!

My projection is that Europe will enter a severe recession and then prolonged depression with debt problems that make the US's current situation look tame in comparison. China's economy will contract significantly. The US will experience a brief surge in the dollar as countries run for cover into stalwart currencies and gold. The US then enters a prolonged severe recession with hiccups produced by Fed monitization, and then a full fledged depression. This represents a slow decline situation that may result in some civil unrest, but the "we're all in it together" attitude will prevail for a while, at least. After that - wide spread civil unrest is just one or two major incidents away from exploding across major metropolitan areas. I'm only guessing, but at some point I imagine Geithner and Bernanke had a sit down with Obummer and told him the likely outcome of all this and there is some active planning going on to mitigate the suffering.

There's a long list of trigger events that could send us over the edge. Interruption of oil and critical trade supplies. Iran actually doing something about protecting Syria when we start enforcing a no fly zone over there and then lashing out against western powers inthe region because their base of power is being systematically threatened. The middle east cutting off oil supplies.

I think Atlanta has the potential to get hit hard with severe unemployment but some food support will be provided to help people survive. Same goes for most other cities. Things will be worse for cities in cold northern climates. I'd expect crime rates involving theft and/or battery to go up significantly.

My wife and I take this pretty seriously - seriously enough to have spent the past 1.5 years prepping and linking up with other like minded folks to share knowledge and resources. I think in any cataclysmic financial scenario you're going to have to be embedded in some sort of strong community to help each other out. We're actually looking for property/homes in communities where like minded people exist but I can still work in the North ATL area.

Last edited:
Well sir, I live in the mountains of East Tennessee, and there is absolutely no fear from anyone up here about your "total economic collapse" projection. We have root cellars for bunches of vegetables, smokehouses for meat we have already "put up", whitetail deer, rabbits, quail, grouse, and last but not least plenty of ammunition! So...... "you-ins" take care of that mess down there; we'll be thinking about you!

I worked all around Knoxville all the way to Sevierville and Gatlinberg and Dandridge since June, just got back. You guys are a bunch of wierdos :confused:

Wierdos? Whatever...... but we're ready for when then $hit hits the fan! Not as much population up here as where you are. The cheese eaters down there will be your worry, not mine!

Semper Fi brother, but don't be too cocky. There are plenty of cheese eaters in that area and believe me they will be some of the least expected folk when it hits. ;)
Basically, people that you think are prepared sometimes really are not....

Grey man principle - keep a low profile and don't announce to the world your preps. Plenty of us down this way just as prepared. City folk will have issues, especially if they refuse to network now when things are safe.

Many would rather go out to eat, buy pretty new things and keep up with prime time tv and then come here to TALK about preparedness.

Not a slam at anyone here including the OP for the thread, but hell, if the shoe fits....

I agree... it won't be a cakewalk anywhere! There's no way we're going to be 100% self-sufficient, but we're doing all we can right now to prepare for this debacle. No telling when the hammer is going to drop.

Semper Fi brother, but don't be too cocky. There are plenty of cheese eaters in that area and believe me they will be some of the least expected folk when it hits. ;)
Basically, people that you think are prepared sometimes really are not....

Grey man principle - keep a low profile and don't announce to the world your preps. Plenty of us down this way just as prepared. City folk will have issues, especially if they refuse to network now when things are safe.

Many would rather go out to eat, buy pretty new things and keep up with prime time tv and then come here to TALK about preparedness.

Not a slam at anyone here including the OP for the thread, but hell, if the shoe fits.

Que?

Enough about Eastern Tennessee and it's crack like BBQ ribs that shouldn't even be labeled food and should be called " Godlike substance".

Anyone have any thoughts as to what the neighbors would be doing? What will you be doing if you saw neighbors begging at your door asking if you had any food or supplies, would you share?

Back
Top Bottom