• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

School me on .300 BO / What to do with this upper?

Ballistically, 300BK unsuppressed is like shooting an AK47 unsuppressed. Similar bullet weight, similar powders and charge. 10.5 barrel is no problem - you can expect that a standard commercial load will have burned almost all of the powder before the bullet makes it to the muzzle.

Plinking 300 is about 50 cents a round while 7.62 is about 43 cents so you are paying a premium for 300 at the moment.
except you're getting 16" 7.62x39 ballistics out of a 10" barrel. If you want rifle speed out of a short barrel, very few things do it as well as 300.

subsonics are hitting about like 45acp but can punch through soft armor. Really fun, but not the best use case for 300 IMO

10.5" 300blk is an excellent combination for a SBR or pistol build. Ballistics are going to be much better than a 5.56 in that same length barrel. Much less noise and fireball.

300blk is such a misunderstood round and the Internet myth that it has to be suppressed needs to die. It's just ignorant.

There's only so much performance your going to get out of a rifle round in a short barrel. And 5.56 is a terrible choice for SBR's, I'll die on that hill. 5.56 needs a longer barrel to maximize its performance. 5.56 out of a 20" Barrel is a nasty nasty round, 14.5 is a good compromise, but less that 14.5" is when I start looking at other calibers.

300blk shines in shorter barrels. It's the perfect cartridge for 8.5" - 10.5" barrels in my opinion and that's shooting supersonic rounds. You get a nice compact package, no massive fireball like 556, and much more accurate at long range than pistol caliber SBRs.

I also don't understand why people think 300blk is expensive to shoot or difficult to come by.
I can only think of two rifle calibers that are cheaper and more common (5.56mm and 7.62x39)

So it takes third place in price and availability but people still think that's a problem?

You've got a very common, but very capable upper there. If it was me I would just finish it off with a PSA lower and Primary Arms 3x microprism or red dot of your choice.

Snobs and haters will hate, but it won't change the fact you've got a very capable carbine that is very versatile and inexpensive.

Screenshot_20231210-113616.png
Screenshot_20231210-113707.png

At last, something i can agree with Fatal_Bert Fatal_Bert about!

If someone told me I could only own 300BLK firearms OR 5.56 firearms, I'd pick 300BLK. Every day of the week. And you know something? I did.

Nah, we don't agree then :lol:

I would choose 5.56 all day over 300blk. Just not in a SBR.

Back
Top Bottom