• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger quality?

Sent a brand new Lc9s back several years ago. They replaced the entire slide.
Sent a new 1911 commander back. A 45 round would not even begin to go in the barrel. Got a email that Ruger was destroying that gun and sent me another. Still like and own Ruger but it seems like the quality control has slipped in recent years

So, maybe it's just my usual luck, but it recently occurred to me....

I have a number of Rugers but only three that were manufactured this century. A Red Label, a Single Six, and a Precision Rimfire.
The first time I took the Red Label out, it was for a round of sporting clays. I was shooting light target loads. The barrel got surprisingly hot and the ventilated rib now has a slight 'warp' in it. Doesn't appear to affect anything but certainly not the quality I expected from a $1,200 shotgun.
The Single Six shoots well left of point of aim despite having the site adjust to it's limit. Hard to tell but it appears the front sight may be incorrectly mounted but I think it's just an issue with the barrel.
The Ruger Precision has abysmal accuracy for ANY rifle much less a 'precision' rifle. I think every .22 I have or ever had is more accurate.

I don't recall a single issue, of any type, with any of the Rugers I own made prior. That includes rifles and revolvers.
The Single Six and the Precision are on their way back to Ruger. I'm not even going to bother with the Red Label.

So, is it just my usual "luck" or have others seen similar QC issues?
Every manufacturer puts out a lemon every now and then, but I've seen more than I care to with Ruger in the last 20-30 yrs or so.

The Single Six needs the barrel turned, but hopefully, they'll just rebarrel for you. I've seen more than one with the front sights off-center.

Even the early Red Labels had their share of problems. My Dad had a 28 ga RL back in the early 1990s. Although he was a good shot, he never could master that RL. We finally patterned it and discovered the barrels weren't regulated! Needless to say, he soon swapped it for a Citori 28 ga.

I wish I had that RL...beautiful wood and I would have sent it back to Ruger for repair!

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Yes it seems the newer guns like everything else anymore isn't the quality of yore. At least the Colts and Rugers I've noticed weren't. Smith I had no problems with. But that said, I grew up with the firing pin in the hammer and it just doesn't seem right any other way except for Ruger. That's the way they always were.

So, maybe it's just my usual luck, but it recently occurred to me....

I have a number of Rugers but only three that were manufactured this century. A Red Label, a Single Six, and a Precision Rimfire.
The first time I took the Red Label out, it was for a round of sporting clays. I was shooting light target loads. The barrel got surprisingly hot and the ventilated rib now has a slight 'warp' in it. Doesn't appear to affect anything but certainly not the quality I expected from a $1,200 shotgun.
The Single Six shoots well left of point of aim despite having the site adjust to it's limit. Hard to tell but it appears the front sight may be incorrectly mounted but I think it's just an issue with the barrel.
The Ruger Precision has abysmal accuracy for ANY rifle much less a 'precision' rifle. I think every .22 I have or ever had is more accurate.

I don't recall a single issue, of any type, with any of the Rugers I own made prior. That includes rifles and revolvers.
The Single Six and the Precision are on their way back to Ruger. I'm not even going to bother with the Red Label.

So, is it just my usual "luck" or have others seen similar QC issues?
Nothing is as good as it used to be.

Amen, as it seems....The Ruger I was thinking about was brand new #1 stainless Tropical and missing parts. Not a huge deal, but really. I was shipped parts and I put it together. A 10/22 and a New Model Blackhawk, you shot the guns and the pins start sliding out....I duct taped the pins in place on the 10/22 and that worked pretty well.

Just remembered a security six, the rear sights wouldn't stay adjusted and kept shifting. Went to S&W and never looked back.

Back
Top Bottom