• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rimfire benchrest match - edit April 25th.

" If there are better facilities in the state, I'd like to know where they are. Serious question."

For strictly rimfire benchrest,it would be hard to beat the facilitys at Chickenfoot in Cedartown, Ga. We have an indoor 50yrd range (the wide pic below) as well as an outdoor. Both ranges have 25 concrete bench's and you will shoot against the best rimfire benchrest shooters in the south. I would suggest getting wind flags for outdoor shooting and either a 1 piece rest or a very good 2 piece rest. I remember when I started in this game with my Kimber 82g,then and H&R M-12,Shultz and Larsen M-24,shooting lower grade ammo and my scores showed it consistently in the bottom.It takes a while to figure out and it is quite addicting to say the least.

I then purchased a Remington 40X and my scores improved significantly as my skills improved and I began using higher grade match ammo,Eley Black box,Lapua were the best out there and still are, but not till I purchased a custom barrel,Jewell trigger and benchrest styled 3 inch wide forearm rifle stock, custom rest was I able to finally begin to break into the 2000 agg (but barely).Most folks there shoot custom actions.

If you are determined to go this route you can have fun shooting simply against yourself(usually what I do anyways) with a factory stock rifle and save your funds for other things to enjoy or get involved by advancing your equipment (costly) and competing against the best there are usually 1 time a month, although recently the ARA has decided to run indoor match's year round tho none have been scheduled at Chickenfoot as of this time. The indoor match's usually run Oct/Nov thru Jan/Feb with an indoor National match held there yearly with an average attendance of 80+ shooters from around the country. There is an indoor Factory Class limited to on specific rifles outlined on the ARA website. I think maybe 2 members here have rifles that qualify for that class.

I'd suggest going to the ARA website (https://www.americanrimfire.com/) for more info or coming to a match at Chickenfoot to see what it's all about regarding where it is and what all's involved. These folks shoot for extreme accuracy at 50 yrds, most agg's are in the 2100-2300 range on a 2500 scored target. It can be a blast and you will learn from the best and everyone is helpful, a lot of members that shoot will have rifles for sale at reasonable prices that will compete, but they aren't cheap and can run $2000 up or down sometimes, but you can try the rifles and test them before purchasing. Most are all retired military or law enforcement, farmers, doctors, etc. Many will be ex state and regional champions and a few National Champions as well, the best of the best and really good folks

Bill Casey owns Chickenfoot. He raise's chickens as well as being a farmer, but safety is always key at the match's.no horseplay of any kind will be tolerated. Match's are $30 per match or roughly $5 a card as we will shoot 6 cards and we shoot relays depending on the number of entrants. All match's begin promptly at 4 p.m. and a break before the next match at 7 p.m. (the range has lights) Bill feeds everyone shooting both match's. We don't discuss politics ,air our grievances and you should act accordingly. We have a match this Sat starting at 4 p.m. All are welcome
011.jpg
029.jpg
014.jpg
051.jpg
003.JPG

" If there are better facilities in the state, I'd like to know where they are. Serious question."

For strictly rimfire benchrest,it would be hard to beat the facilitys at Chickenfoot in Cedartown, Ga. We have an indoor 50yrd range (the wide pic below) as well as an outdoor. Both ranges have 25 concrete bench's and you will shoot against the best rimfire benchrest shooters in the south. I would suggest getting wind flags for outdoor shooting and either a 1 piece rest or a very good 2 piece rest. I remember when I started in this game with my Kimber 82g,then and H&R M-12,Shultz and Larsen M-24,shooting lower grade ammo and my scores showed it consistently in the bottom.It takes a while to figure out and it is quite addicting to say the least.

I then purchased a Remington 40X and my scores improved significantly as my skills improved and I began using higher grade match ammo,Eley Black box,Lapua were the best out there and still are, but not till I purchased a custom barrel,Jewell trigger and benchrest styled 3 inch wide forearm rifle stock, custom rest was I able to finally begin to break into the 2000 agg (but barely).Most folks there shoot custom actions.

If you are determined to go this route you can have fun shooting simply against yourself(usually what I do anyways) with a factory stock rifle and save your funds for other things to enjoy or get involved by advancing your equipment (costly) and competing against the best there are usually 1 time a month, although recently the ARA has decided to run indoor match's year round tho none have been scheduled at Chickenfoot as of this time. The indoor match's usually run Oct/Nov thru Jan/Feb with an indoor National match held there yearly with an average attendance of 80+ shooters from around the country. There is an indoor Factory Class limited to on specific rifles outlined on the ARA website. I think maybe 2 members here have rifles that qualify for that class.

I'd suggest going to the ARA website (https://www.americanrimfire.com/) for more info or coming to a match at Chickenfoot to see what it's all about regarding where it is and what all's involved. These folks shoot for extreme accuracy at 50 yrds, most agg's are in the 2100-2300 range on a 2500 scored target. It can be a blast and you will learn from the best and everyone is helpful, a lot of members that shoot will have rifles for sale at reasonable prices that will compete, but they aren't cheap and can run $2000 up or down sometimes, but you can try the rifles and test them before purchasing. Most are all retired military or law enforcement, farmers, doctors, etc. Many will be ex state and regional champions and a few National Champions as well, the best of the best and really good folks

Bill Casey owns Chickenfoot. He raise's chickens as well as being a farmer, but safety is always key at the match's.no horseplay of any kind will be tolerated. Match's are $30 per match or roughly $5 a card as we will shoot 6 cards and we shoot relays depending on the number of entrants. All match's begin promptly at 4 p.m. and a break before the next match at 7 p.m. (the range has lights) Bill feeds everyone shooting both match's. We don't discuss politics ,air our grievances and you should act accordingly. We have a match this Sat starting at 4 p.m. All are welcomeView attachment 3237480 View attachment 3237482 View attachment 3237483 View attachment 3237484 View attachment 3237489
Looks nice for sure, but I meant overall. I can't think of one discipline not represented at RBGC with a simply outstanding venue. (Actually I take that back. They used to have an indoor air rifle range. They no longer do. But the other improvements certainly more than make up for the limited use it got.)
Yeah, I have no interest in going the custom/unlimited route. As mentioned I have experience with that in the centerfire realm. I found my father's wind flags. Only 3 but that's good enough for me for 50 yards. The guy next to me had more money in flags than I had in my rifle. They were nice flags....
I was shooting Tenex. The RPR has what 'they' call a 'target barrel' (cold forged 1137) and the trigger is adjustable and I moved it down to 1.5 lbs (even though supposedly it only adjust to 2.25) I don't expect to compete with the unlimited guys (nor do I want to) and as you mention it's more about competing against myself.
Only thing that bothered me was the arbitrary nature of the classifications. When I asked the match director if a CZ MTR would be classified as
factory rifle he thought about it for a second and said "Yes..... but if you start wearing everyone out we'll move you up to precision."
He wasn't joking.
The winner of the factory class shot a 956-36x. Simply unbelievable in those conditions. Second place was an almost equally impressive 948 but only 15x. Winner of the semis shot 958-25x. Winner of precision shot 929-24x. I didn't get the unlimited class.
@WFO62 did you catch that winning score?

Those are pretty good scores considering the conditions. I get what you mean on these type of match's. Most all of us shooting these rimfire match's used to shoot custom high caliber before and most all of us are far over the 60 yr age. Shoulders, legs, backs,flat worn out from yrs of working and shooting. It is what it is tho. We find it enjoyable and as I said all are welcome. There will be at the moment NO factory class at Chickenfoot, You can run what ya brung tho and we have computer scoring programs scoring the standard ARA target. The guys shooting in the Factory ARA class's readily shoot 2300-2500 scores ot a modified ARA target that has a larger .dia bull they shoot for score vs the smaller .dia we shoot. Either way it's fun way to enjoy the day shooting. I just got off the phone with Bill, probably only 15 shooters this weekend as most all other facilities are shooting their 1st match's of outdoor this upcoming weekend, Come if you like, drop by to see what it's like, shoot if you want !!.I do agree tho RBGC is probably the best overall shooting facility in Ga. Chattanooga gun club would be the next closest in my mind to having overall range facilities

A few pieces of advice when shooting Rimfire Benchrest, Make sure your scope is zeroed in at 50 yrds, You can make allowances for longer ranges but usually all match's are at 50.Don't compensate by clicks on your scope unless shooting longer distances learn to hold of for wind variances by using experience and the wind guide provided in the other rimfireaccuracy link. You can copy it and I'd have it laminated and carry to a match with me as an tool.It is key to have your rifle and scope zeroed as best as can be so finding an indoor range to zero it is the best option and try to avoid changing it whenever possible. I have my zero's marked on my scope but almost always shoot using holdoff

The other thing and probably most important is waiting for your condition, watching the tails on the flags, shooting your rifle in all conditions to learn when and how your rifle shoots it best score. Obviously dead calm is great, but after a while you may learn your rifle and ammo might like a 5 mph crosswind or something else learn your holdoff for all if possible, but rushing thru a card when a better condition might be just 10 seconds away can mean the difference between winning a match or simply a higher score.

A 36X scope is a necessity in my opinion as well as a fine crosshair/dot, A 24X Is ok, but not functional at anything over 50 yrds IMO.

Eley black box shoots as well if not better in most case's I have found, goes the same with Lapua Center X will shoot right with the higher more expensive grade in most case's especially with a factory barrel.A factory barrel that says its a target barrel is equal to a barrel on an old targetnaster remington or winchester 69 and I have found that SK Std will shoot as good in a factory barrel in most case's as well as the more expensive brands unless my rifle is exceptional. If you want the closest thing to a custom barreled rifle a Win 52d or Rem 40x would be the closest and they will still outshoot most if not all current moderate priced rifles being manufactured out there today. The CZ's have match style chambers and good quality barrels. are pretty good,but probably still will only hang with a 40X or 52D. Try to get a good adjustable front rest and a solid bag. You can also find 3 inch wide adapters to fit most rifle as well as a solid 3 inch wide bag for better stability and if you can afford it a rear adjustable like this, l find it easier to shoot than moving and squeezing a bag,hope this will help some.Good luck, enjoy the ride.

https://www.killoughshootingsports....057-abra-rear-mechanical-rest-adjustable.html

https://www.sinclairintl.com/shooti...pters/forend-benchrest-adaptor-prod35661.aspx

Looks nice for sure, but I meant overall. I can't think of one discipline not represented at RBGC with a simply outstanding venue. (Actually I take that back. They used to have an indoor air rifle range. They no longer do. But the other improvements certainly more than make up for the limited use it got.)
Yeah, I have no interest in going the custom/unlimited route. As mentioned I have experience with that in the centerfire realm. I found my father's wind flags. Only 3 but that's good enough for me for 50 yards. The guy next to me had more money in flags than I had in my rifle. They were nice flags....
I was shooting Tenex. The RPR has what 'they' call a 'target barrel' (cold forged 1137) and the trigger is adjustable and I moved it down to 1.5 lbs (even though supposedly it only adjust to 2.25) I don't expect to compete with the unlimited guys (nor do I want to) and as you mention it's more about competing against myself.
Only thing that bothered me was the arbitrary nature of the classifications. When I asked the match director if a CZ MTR would be classified as
factory rifle he thought about it for a second and said "Yes..... but if you start wearing everyone out we'll move you up to precision."
He wasn't joking.
The winner of the factory class shot a 956-36x. Simply unbelievable in those conditions. Second place was an almost equally impressive 948 but only 15x. Winner of the semis shot 958-25x. Winner of precision shot 929-24x. I didn't get the unlimited class.
@WFO62 did you catch that winning score?

Finish Target Name Rifle/Action Ammo 50 Yd 50 Yd 50 Yd 50 Yd Total
Unlimited 22 - 5 Competitors
1 3 Grant Toman Anschutz Eley - Bluebox 243-11X 245-13X 245-8X 244-12X 977-44X 1st Unlimited
2 7 David Rabin Anschutz 1913/Benchmark RWS R-50 245-16X 245-4X 238-11X 244-9X 972-40X 2nd Unlimited

RBGC Rimfire Benchrest Tournament
April 2021
RBA & IBS Targets, Best Edge Scoring
River Bend Gun Club, Dawsonville, GA -- April 26th, 2021
Tournament 1

Finish Target Name Rifle/Action Ammo 50 Yd 50 Yd 50 Yd 50 Yd Total
Unlimited 22 - 5 Competitors
1 3 Grant Anschutz Eley - Bluebox 243-11X 245-13X 245-8X 244-12X 977-44X 1st Unlimited
2 7 David Anschutz 1913/Benchmark RWS R-50 245-16X 245-4X 238-11X 244-9X 972-40X 2nd Unlimited
3 10 Pat 2500X/Shilen Octagon Eley Match 244-8X 239-10X 240-9X 241-11X 964-38X
4 8 Joe Anschutz 1927/Factory Lapua Center-X 230-4X 228-7X 234-5X 228-3X 920-19X
5 2 Robert Anschutz Lapua 218-4X 217-16X 224-3X 225-5X 884-28X

Precision 22 - Rest and BiPod - 3 Competitors
1 1 John Vudoo/Lothar-Walther Lapua Center-X 231-7X 221-5X 245-9X 232-3X 929-24X 1st Precision
2 9 Phil Ruger Precision Eley Tenex 189-3X 165-1X 175-1X 199-2X 728-7X
3 6 Steve Unrecorded Unrecorded 150-1X 157-1X 180-1X 174-1X 661-4X

Factory 22 - Rest and Bipod - 5 Competitors
1 4 Alan Kimber 82G/Factory Wolf Match Target 240-4X 234-7X 241-5X 241-10X 956-36X 1st Factory
2 5 Drew Lithgow 101/Factory Lapua Center-X 226-3X 231-2X 248-5X 243-5X 948-15X 2nd Factory
3 11 Neal Savage BTVS Lapua Center-X 224-4X 231-6X 234-2X 227-3X 916-15X
4 15 Phill CZ457/Factory Lapua Center-X 228-4X 204-2X 233-3X 228-3X 893-12X
5 14 Paul Ruger Precision (Borrowed) Lapua Center-X 199-1X 186-2X 214-4X 205-2X 804-9X 1st Competition - Borrowed Rifle

Seimauto 22 - Rest and Bipod - 3 Competitors
1 12 Shaun Ruger 10-22/Green Mtn Eley Match 237-1X 240-9X 246-7X 235-8X 958-25X 1st Semiauto
2 16 Paul Thomson Center Custom SK Std. Plus 233-1X 218-1X 212-2X 221-1X 884-5X
3 13 Angelina Ruger 10-22 Custom Shop SK Std. Plus 202-2X 186-0X 186-0X 202-1X 776-3X
Tournament Weather Conditions
Sunny / Winds - 6 to 16 mph NW - Gusts to 24 MPH / Temperature 57 to 68 Degrees F
Tournament Officials
Match Director: Simon D. Bailey
Chief Range Officer: Simon D. Bailey

Pop quiz. One rifle shot the 3 bull column on the left another rifle the 3 bull column on the right.
Rifle A: Ruger Precision Rimfire, Sightron 36X with 1/8" target dot, trigger adjusted to 1.5#s.
Rifle B: Ruger 77/22 (1985 vintage) with a cheap (currently $89 on Amazon) Bushnell 3.5-10x Rimfire, and a trigger that measures 4 lbs but I swear feels like 14!
Both shooting Eley Tenex (at a very painful $0.40 a pop).

You get ONE guess to figure out which was which. :frusty:

20210429_141744[1].jpg

Well if I had to guess I would say it was the Ruger!

:rolleyes:

Really, the 77/22 shot that well with a cheap scope?

Did the RPR scope get loose or anything? I'd mount the 77/22 scope on the RPR and see what happens. Something goofy is going on.

Well if I had to guess I would say it was the Ruger!

:rolleyes:

Really, the 77/22 shot that well with a cheap scope?

Did the RPR scope get loose or anything? I'd mount the 77/22 scope on the RPR and see what happens. Something goofy is going on.
I really don't think it's the scope but I'll find out because the plan (as of right now, unless someone want to buy a like new RPR ;) ) is to put the 36x on the 77/22 and ship the RPR back to Ruger then when it comes back, if it doesn't shoot lights out, sell it. Sub inch at 50 yards might be 'good enough' for some people, but not what I expected or was after. The 77/22 was shooting 3/8" with that awful scope (that honestly, I could not see well enough out of to shoot even that well I thought) and brutal trigger. AND..... it shot just as well with the cheap GECO ammo as the Tenex.

Back
Top Bottom