• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rimfire benchrest match - edit April 25th.

Yes... send that RPR back to Ruger... put that 36X on that 77/22 and confirm that the scope is good...You have to do that scope swap just to make sure that scope is good...
Yep, still ticks me off to no end that it doesn't shoot better than that. I realize they are probably cranking out guns as fast as they can but that shouldn't excuse sloppy QC. As another member told me, they forgot to install the "precision" part on this one.

GeauxLSU, I personally don't know if this will help. I had a Suhl match rifle that didn't shoot very well after tinkering with it (bedding the action into the stock,trigger adj/multple attempts finding good ammo,etc) I happened upon an old post that shimming the bolt had helped others. I did so and that rifle came alive. I don't know enough about the RPR, but have seen where shimming the 77/22 helped improving it's accuracy .Might be worth looking at as well as varying the amount of torque used on the mounting screws and matching ammo to the rifle is key. I'd start there if feasible,just sayin you can over torque the mounting screws and that can effect the accuracy. I'd start at 20 inlbs and work my way up. My 40X shoots best with the rear at one setting and the front at another,so you have to experiment, say maybe 30 on the front 25 on the rear and just barely tickle the middle enough to not fall out,good luck

GeauxLSU, I personally don't know if this will help. I had a Suhl match rifle that didn't shoot very well after tinkering with it (bedding the action into the stock,trigger adj/multple attempts finding good ammo,etc) I happened upon an old post that shimming the bolt had helped others. I did so and that rifle came alive. I don't know enough about the RPR, but have seen where shimming the 77/22 helped improving it's accuracy .Might be worth looking at as well as varying the amount of torque used on the mounting screws and matching ammo to the rifle is key. I'd start there if feasible,just sayin you can over torque the mounting screws and that can effect the accuracy. I'd start at 20 inlbs and work my way up. My 40X shoots best with the rear at on setting and the front at another,so you have to experiment, say maybe 30 on the front 25 on the rear and just barely tickle the middle enough to not fall out,good luck
Thanks Tommy but I'm not going to mess with it. This is a new gun and I just hung up with Ruger. They need to fix it. The guy on the phone agreed there is definitely something wrong. I'll get it sent back and hopefully it will come back shooting like I expect (consistent sub 0.5" at 50 yards) or somebody else can have it to mess with.
In the meantime, I will enjoy shooting my dad's rifle in the next match (assuming I can find some extra high mounts......).

GeauxLSU GeauxLSU
Looks like the smart way to go on that 77/22 is put a picatinny rail on it... then you should be able to use the same rings that you used on the RPR...
just my 2 cents, looks like the way to go though...

GeauxLSU GeauxLSU
Looks like the smart way to go on that 77/22 is put a picatinny rail on it... then you should be able to use the same rings that you used on the RPR...
Given the difficulty in getting the last rings, that's exactly where I assume I'll land. I just try and avoid adding variables when trying to fine tune accuracy.

GeauxLSU GeauxLSU

Given the difficulty in getting the last rings, that's exactly where I assume I'll land. I just try and avoid adding variables when trying to fine tune accuracy.
I guess I've used the limited luck I have for the next couple months. Sightron fit on 77/22 without needed different rings. :)
Now I'll die of old age waiting for no wind and a dry day I'm sure.... :D

Back
Top Bottom