• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Riverbend Rimfire Silhouette Match - Gear needed ?

I'd come armed with a "cheat sheet" of notes regarding how many clicks you'll need to re-zero your rifle for all of the various distances required in the match. Usually 40 yards, 60 yards, 77 yards, and 100 yards. Or meters? I forget.
But, you should actually TEST your gun with the ammo that YOU will use in the match. Don't just research the bullet drop and scope adjustment question online.

The best shooters say to use standard velocity ammo, for the sake of accuracy, rather than high velocity ammo for its greater knockdown power.
Hi Vel can get very unstable when it goes transonic. Crazy results at anything over 100 yards. Best to shoot SV ammo.

Hi Vel can get very unstable when it goes transonic. Crazy results at anything over 100 yards. Best to shoot SV ammo.
I’ll be shooting SV but it’s 100m/~110yds so not really an issue for this event. The link says SV only so that was good info. I’d be much more comfortable with a 200yd bench shoot but figured I’d try it out.

Std. Vel. only???
That's a crazy rule.

I guess it's meant to accommodate older shooters who don't want to use hearing protection because their parents and grandparents didn't. Standard velocity will usually mean subsonic, and fired outdoors from a longer barrel rifle, that's pretty darn quiet.

could be protection for the targets......back when I shot silhouettes(at RBGC in Duluth)1978/1980...I used SV...I do not remember if it was a "rule".....if you know your drop, it's no difference than it would be for higher velocity, as they all drop...I'm kind of getting pumped up to shoot this after following this thread....still have my old scope....and some left over ammo....gun long gone...

20240418_101228.png

Std. Vel. only???
That's a crazy rule.

I guess it's meant to accommodate older shooters who don't want to use hearing protection because their parents and grandparents didn't. Standard velocity will usually mean subsonic, and fired outdoors from a longer barrel rifle, that's pretty darn quiet.
Pretty much all the match ammo I’ve seen is “standard velocity”. I haven’t done a lot of rimfire and no comps but all the “premium” ammo I’ve shot (eley, Sk, wolf, lapua, rws) are all standard velocity.

If you read my RBGC post you will see that there is a risk of bullet fragments "bouncing" back to the shooters/spectators...not sure I understand...BUT whatever

CCI mini mags very accurate in my gun out to 100 yards very little difference between that and RWS and Ely club target ammo.

My cousin had a heavy barreled 22 rifle with a 24 power scope on it. He found the most accurate rounds at 100 yards were Winchester Super X hollow points (high velocity).

And no, he did not hunt with this rimfire.
It was just for punching paper.

He tested a dozen brands and bullet configurations and that's what was best for his gun.

Back
Top Bottom