• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rimfire benchrest match - edit April 25th.

Supposedly they "season" and tighten up after a couple hundred rounds. That's about what I've shot. No change.
One thing I've found is that I have to fire 15-20 rds of a particular brand before my rifles settle down with that brand/load. Makes it hard to do accuracy comparisons, but noticed the same thing with precision air rifles years ago...

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

So how badly did you guys get slaughtered by the regular crowd? I'm thinkin pretty bad as the wind was up a bit today and the rifles you were taking to shoot. My money was on the guy with the Kimber 82 leading this group. Wasting money on match quality ammo only works in match quality barreled rifles, of which you have none in reality, stick to plinkin ammo fer yer plinkers, unless ya have about 2-3K in a match rifle your wasting good ammo. ARA does have a factory class for certain factory rifles, but nobody around here offers that class to shoot in until the Indoor Nationals in Cedartown in Dec.

How was the match???
Gail force winds, :shocked: match director dubbed in "WindFest 2021". :lol: Still had a great time and I learned one thing in particular that I never knew.
I shot in a few centerfire bench rest matches many moons ago with my father. He had a room full of trophies from shooting. I managed to shoot a perfect score in one match but when it comes to reading the wind, I 'knew' only one thing. Wind will push the bullet left or right and the faster the wind, the more the bullet gets pushed. Never thought about it beyond that.
That was certainly holding true yesterday except I was getting ALL kinds of VERTICAL movement that really left me scratching my head. The guy next to me, was shooting some totally tricked out unlimited class Anschutz and had a chart he showed me. It was much simpler than this one (can't find the one he had) but this is the basic concept.

0e9149ce687504f4e1d2053088068695.jpg

Short version, in a RH twist barrel the twist will cause the bullet to climb in a wind from the right and dive in a wind from the left. After seeing what was happening I can attest, it is REAL and far greater an effect than I had ever imagined.
16 shooters. My goal was not to finish last. I accomplished that. Barely. Thanks to I think only one other person. :becky:

Gail force winds, :shocked: match director dubbed in "WindFest 2021". :lol: Still had a great time and I learned one thing in particular that I never knew.
I shot in a few centerfire bench rest matches many moons ago with my father. He had a room full of trophies from shooting. I managed to shoot a perfect score in one match but when it comes to reading the wind, I 'knew' only one thing. Wind will push the bullet left or right and the faster the wind, the more the bullet gets pushed. Never thought about it beyond that.
That was certainly holding true yesterday except I was getting ALL kinds of VERTICAL movement that really left me scratching my head. The guy next to me, was shooting some totally tricked out unlimited class Anschutz and had a chart he showed me. It was much simpler than this one (can't find the one he had) but this is the basic concept.

0e9149ce687504f4e1d2053088068695.jpg

Short version, in a RH twist barrel the twist will cause the bullet to climb in a wind from the right and dive in a wind from the left. After seeing what was happening I can attest, it is REAL and far greater an effect than I had ever imagined.
16 shooters. My goal was not to finish last. I accomplished that. Barely. Thanks to I think only one other person. :becky:

Sounds like a good time!

Cool chart, too!

Back
Top Bottom