• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PSA 1911 build

My new grip safety arrived on Wednesday and I finally found a little bit of time to throw everything together and do a function test. My thumb safety will not install with the hammer and sear in so I need to read/watch before I proceed with any fitting there. Without the thumb safety, everything seems to work properly. The grip safety does its job and dry firing the trigger pull is decent. Still need to touch all the metal on metal areas.

Hopefully I'll find some time before leaving out of town on Monday evening to figure out the thumb safety and fit it and work on blending the grip safety.

Here are some pics...

IMG_3625.JPG
IMG_3626.JPG
IMG_3627.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg

Actually, the grip safety did not function properly, I needed to file down the tang that slides up off of the trigger bow as it was dragging there and the bottom (under palm pad) where it would bind with the MSH (actually had to take a lot out there). Here are some more pics before I start the blending process.

I just wanted to verify with you guys, if I move forward with blending the grip safety and do not like the results - I can still go to a Wilson grip safety as I will not have removed too much metal anywhere since the Wilson safety requires MORE material removal correct?

The trigger pull is a gritty and a little stiff so I'll smooth out all metal to metal surfaces and I'm ordering a 17lb mainspring. I ordered a trigger pull scale as well so I can do some before and after testing. I hope to get some work in tomorrow before leaving town through Friday on a business trip.

-----A little metal removed on the arm.
IMG_3632.JPG

-----Quite a bit of metal to be removed here. Also experimented with Dysem Blue. Didn't care for it too much but maybe I just need to get used to working with it. Using a marker seemed a little more precise and I've yet to utilize the candle method as @RamRoddoc suggested.
IMG_3635.JPG

---And some blending to do....

IMG_3638.JPG
IMG_3637.JPG
IMG_3639.JPG

the Wilson grip safety is also a 250 radius but it's unique.. if it gets bad you can always go to a 220 radius. Brownell's sells the jig for the 220 made by S&A

So I'll try the wilson after fitting the .250 brown (assuming I'm not satisfied which I don't think I will be), And then go down to the .220 EGW if needed.

I'm a little suprized to still see such a gap between the safety and rear tang on the frame. The Brown safety can be a little challenging because it's such a high cut. They are really tough on Caspian frames. I've still got a brand new EB safety that I bought for a project and never used. Since you already have the WC JIG, you can blend the Brown a bit and check to see if you are going to go too far for the WC, if you do, just go with the .220, in the end, it looks like that's going to be the best fit. You may be able to return the other stuff, or, like me, toss it in a bin. Eventually you will have enough spare parts in the bin to justify another build ;)

Back
Top Bottom