• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PSA 1911 build

jjrock

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
64   0
Reaction score
This will be my first build. I've never replaced a part that wasn't drop-in. I've almost completed Jerry Kuhnhausen's "The Colt .45 automatic" Vol 1 manual and am almost ready to get going doing my best to be PATIENT. Parts list and pics...

Main Slide Components

Slide: Stainless Palmetto State Armory
Barrel/Bushing: Match Grade WC
Firing Pin: WC Titanium
Extractor: WC Bulletproof
Slide Release: WC (Extended)
Sights: Trijicon HD

Main Frame Components:
Frame: Stainless Palmetto State Armory
Trigger: Nighthawk Tri-cavity Long Match
Sear: WC Bullet Proof
Sear Spring: WC Bullet Proof
Disconnector: WC Bullet Proof
Hammer: WC Bullet Proof Spec Ops 9
Plunger Tube: WC Bullet Proof
MSH: WC 30 LPI
Grip Safety: WC (High Ride)
Thumb Safety: WC (Wide)
Ejector: Ed Brown (extended)

Pics:
IMG_3581.JPG
IMG_3580.JPG
IMG_3579.JPG
IMG_3578.JPG
IMG_3577.JPG

Man, I have got to tell you I ran into an issue or two with the two frames I got....the rear horns are cut for a .250 radius beavertail, but the hole for the thumb safety was off .027" ...Leaving a substantial gap between the frame and a .250 beavertail....I tried a .220 beavertail but it wouldn't allow the thumb safety to go in...Not a problem if you're building a shooter, but if you're trying to impress 1911 guys, it's an eyesore. I will have to hand fit a .220 to the odd cut frame horns, Not something I look forward to. .....Also, there is a substantial amount of frame that hangs out past the slide at rest.. I was thinking I had a few problems with my parts, but I mix matched several barrels, barrel links, firing pin stops, etc. and still had this mismatch. The ejector lines up with the slide, so I assume they left a bit of meat on the frame back there to custom fit it to your slide....

IMG_5528.JPG

Last edited:
Not what I wanted to hear on my first build! So the hole is .027" off to the rear of the pistol? I'll get my calipers out when I get home and see if mine is the same way.

Not what I wanted to hear on my first build! So the hole is .027" off to the rear of the pistol? I'll get my calipers out when I get home and see if mine is the same way.
Now I'm not saying they ALL are that way, but both of mine are. It's really not an issue, but that gap kind of bothers me. If you have your beavertail and thumb safety, put them in/on your frame for a test fit....Let me know how they fit...

Back
Top Bottom