• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PSA 1911 build

Yes. Notice how the edges are just slightly radiused between the two parts? You have a very well fit safety, but the radius or rounded edges is taking away from it. If you sand or file that down nice and flat it will look perfect. Just down past the rounded edge. Not much, and taper into the frame. Hope I'm explaining what I mean properly.

Here is a Wilson beavertail on a Caspian frame. It is blended by sanding the safety flat with the side of the frame. If you make a shallow taper from the sear or hammer pin back, and you are just taking off a few thou, it wont be noticeable that the frame tapers ever so slightly.There is a gap between the frame and safety, but the edges are nice and square. hope this helps.

9-4-jpg.333209

Yes. Notice how the edges are just slightly radiused between the two parts? You have a very well fit safety, but the radius or rounded edges is taking away from it. If you sand or file that down nice and flat it will look perfect. Just down past the rounded edge. Not much, and taper into the frame. Hope I'm explaining what I mean properly.

Thanks, I think I'm following you. Will give me something to do. I started to install the ejector and bent the only pin I had. Ordering multiple....

Here is a Wilson beavertail on a Caspian frame. It is blended by sanding the safety flat with the side of the frame. If you make a shallow taper from the sear or hammer pin back, and you are just taking off a few thou, it wont be noticeable that the frame tapers ever so slightly.There is a gap between the frame and safety, but the edges are nice and square. hope this helps.

That looks good! Thanks

I hate those damn ejector pins!! PITA. Springfield just gave up on them and started gluing the ejector in! of course, the ejector in my range officer fell out during a field strip after a few hundred rounds :rolleyes:

Yeah, I plan on sanding the pin down next time. I should have tried that instead of forcing it in. It's only $2-3 so Ill order a handful just in case anyone on here runs into a problem and needs one. It stinks having to stop and wait for a pin! Once I sand down the grip safety all that's left is the barrel fitment/assembly. I am going to need assistance with that for sure. What specialty tools do you use?

Well..... I tend to go a little over board on the barrel fitting lol..... http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/th...-match-grade-1911-barrel.900538/#post-4541259

But Ive been having a hell of a time with my last bullseye gun. Just haven't been able to get it to perform the way it should.

Honestly though, if your not going after every last tenth of accuracy, the Kart barrel fitting kit from brownells and a Wilson lug cutter set (also from brownells) is all you need. Ive seen people build guns with sub 2" 50 yard groups with just those tools.

Last edited:
Yeah, I plan on sanding the pin down next time. I should have tried that instead of forcing it in. It's only $2-3 so Ill order a handful just in case anyone on here runs into a problem and needs one. It stinks having to stop and wait for a pin! Once I sand down the grip safety all that's left is the barrel fitment/assembly. I am going to need assistance with that for sure. What specialty tools do you use?

I have a couple of extra pins if you need to borrow one for a bit.

On fitting I can help you with fitting the hood, I did the one on mine and I have the Kart kit. Not sure about the lugs, jglenn jglenn was going to give me some thoughts on that before I move forward.

glued in ejectors.....jesss

I do like the roll pins used by some pin kits for the ejector pin. they tend to go in a bit easier but I do taper one end a bit.

glued in ejectors.....jesss

I do like the roll pins used by some pin kits for the ejector pin. they tend to go in a bit easier but I do taper one end a bit.

Yeah, I'll taper mine next time for sure...
I have a couple of extra pins if you need to borrow one for a bit.

On fitting I can help you with fitting the hood, I did the one on mine and I have the Kart kit. Not sure about the lugs, jglenn jglenn was going to give me some thoughts on that before I move forward.

Thanks, I'll be working a lot during the beginning of the week so they'll probably be here by the time I need it.
Well..... I tend to go a little over board on the barrel fitting lol..... http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/th...-match-grade-1911-barrel.900538/#post-4541259

But Ive been having a hell of a time with my last bullseye gun. Just haven't been able to get it to perform the way it should.

Honestly though, if your not going after every last tenth of accuracy, the Kart barrel fitting kit from brownells and a Wilson lug cutter set (also from brownells) is all you need. Ive seen people build guns with sub 2" 50 yard groups with just those tools.

I won't be chasing the last tenth of accuracy on my first build and I'm not accurate enough myself yet!

Back
Top Bottom