• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PSA 1911 build

I have the gun runner and strobel styles and they work just fine..

more often than not I use the Strobel

BTW I think Brown sells the roll pin style ejector pins... I use a lot of their pin kits as well as EGWs,

Last edited:
Both those staking tools look about the same. I've got one of them, but now I'm not sure which it is. Either way, that style tool works just fine. Only takes a few mins. To stake the plunger tube. I use a little ball cutter in the dremmel to countersink the inside edges of the holes (inside the frame) this allows the metal legs of the tube to flare out when staked. Very secure that way.

I have the gun runner and strobel styles and they work just fine..

more often than not I use the Strobel

BTW I think Brown sells the roll pin style ejector pins... I use a lot of their pin kits as well as EGWs,

I ordered the pins from WC since they sold the pins individually and I already have some duplications so didn't see the need in another pin kit. I'll probably just order a kit when I order the staking tool and all those extra pins will either come in handy some day or lead me to the rationalization of, "well since I already have the pins, I might as well build another one!"

This new found addiction to mine has me thinking I need to invest in Brownells/Midway/etc....

I need to purchase some target 1911 sights. I know this much:
1. Slide is Novac cut so I've got to go in that direction
2. Going fully adjustable on the rear and fiber optic in the front

Do you guys have any suggestions/personal preferences? Also, how do I know what height front sight to order? Do I install the rear and then measure to get the optimal front sight height?

I don't think you can get either of those staking tools from brownells any more. They have both been out of stock for a while now. Instead, they have started carrying a brownells branded tool that's more expensive.

I have the tool, and an extra pin you can "use" until I need it later. Give me a shout, I wouldn't mind getting together to talk about barrel fitting and stuff too. Maybe we can do some shop time soon.

I don't think you can get either of those staking tools from brownells any more. They have both been out of stock for a while now. Instead, they have started carrying a brownells branded tool that's more expensive.

I have the tool, and an extra pin you can "use" until I need it later. Give me a shout, I wouldn't mind getting together to talk about barrel fitting and stuff too. Maybe we can do some shop time soon.

Awesome, thank you very much. I'll take you up on that. PM inbound.

Have any suggestions on the sights?

Kensight makes what your looking for. I used them on one of my Caspian builds.

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_recon11_zps44447a23.jpg

The adjustable rear looks very similar to a standard Novak, but is fully adjustable. I also like their FO front sights. I believe the standard height front sight is .180" I will measure this one for you, they are fairly well matched. I really like Kensight, quality sights, local company.

Midway carries these sights, if they are out of stock, you can order direct from Kensight.

Kensight makes what your looking for. I used them on one of my Caspian builds.

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_recon11_zps44447a23.jpg

The adjustable rear looks very similar to a standard Novak, but is fully adjustable. I also like their FO front sights. I believe the standard height front sight is .180" I will measure this one for you, they are fairly well matched. I really like Kensight, quality sights, local company.

Midway carries these sights, if they are out of stock, you can order direct from Kensight.

Thanks for the recommendation. I put an adjustable kensight on the back of a Springfield I had a few years back in an effort to alleviate my problem of shooting left, lol. I took it to a gunsmith to have it installed and he said he had to reorder a taller front site than the .185 I supplied and I still had to jack that rear sight all the way up (he obviously didn't test fire it). Anyhow, the rear site I ordered was their 3-dot tritium. Now, I just want a blank rear so I'm hoping for better results this time.

Back
Top Bottom