• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PSA 1911 build

Well, This thread sure got expensive...... I read jglenn jglenn post about the carbon steel frames back in stock so I figured I better order one, its a heck of a deal for a forged frame. Sure would be nice if these became regular stocked items for PSA. Might order a slide next week if they are still in stock.

I think a build party is a great idea. Id sure try and make it. I could bring some 1911 specific tools that you guys may need. Im far from an expert, but Ive built a few of these things.

jjrock jjrock , We will help you get that barrel fit, when you are done, it will be the most accurate 1911 you've ever shot, the extra work is worth it. Even a drop in barrel, properly fit, with the correct link and bushing will out shoot 90% of the production guns out there.

Well, This thread sure got expensive...... I read jglenn jglenn post about the carbon steel frames back in stock so I figured I better order one, its a heck of a deal for a forged frame. Sure would be nice if these became regular stocked items for PSA. Might order a slide next week if they are still in stock.

I think a build party is a great idea. Id sure try and make it. I could bring some 1911 specific tools that you guys may need. Im far from an expert, but Ive built a few of these things.

jjrock jjrock , We will help you get that barrel fit, when you are done, it will be the most accurate 1911 you've ever shot, the extra work is worth it. Even a drop in barrel, properly fit, with the correct link and bushing will out shoot 90% of the production guns out there.

Agreed a Drop in Barrel fitted Properly will out shoot most Production guns out there.
and a Custom fit Barrel is Da-Bomb.

A Build party I would be in for that.

I went a Different Direction with mine so here is the Product Before I Blend the rear still waiting on My EGW Beavertail to finish this up.

Here are the pictures of the stainless Build now (will be using the Stainless Slide on my Standard Frame from PSA.
I am likening the Two-Tone Look but not sure if I will keep these grips or change them for another style:

1911-a.JPG
1911-b.JPG

Last edited:
will4me, really coming together nice! I like the two tone look as well. I especially like the blue slide on the SS frame. If your using the PSA barrels, and are careful with the blending of the frame/slide, Ill bet they are completely interchangeable! That would be pretty cool!!

will4me, really coming together nice! I like the two tone look as well. I especially like the blue slide on the SS frame. If your using the PSA barrels, and are careful with the blending of the frame/slide, Ill bet they are completely interchangeable! That would be pretty cool!!

I knew they were interchangeable but never thought about putting the stainless barrel in the blued slide.
Now that I have done that I like it way better (went in without any fitting at all).
Just need to order a stainless Spring Plug now and the look will be complete.
Thanks markj markj for that Suggestion it just never dawned on me after Hot Bluing the slide and Parking the Barrel on the Blued one to change out to the stainless Barrel.

JJ, you can expect to learn how to install a match grade.. Mark has the process down for the barrel recess lugs in a mill and both of us own the Wilson lug cutter to start the process on the lower lugs.. the upper lugs are done after you fit the back of the barrel into the slide recess. for that you'll need the proper file to cut the back(oversized) upper lug and a depth gauge. I have a simple depth gauge that uses a dial indicator on a 4" base.. you could use a caliper also.. after you fit the upper lugs you do the lower ones

this part of a build for a match barrel is best done in person...say a build class....the more I think about it the more fun it would be...

Mark I may have cost you a frame but I think you cost me a DRO...

I like the idea of a build party. Now I have to buy a frame/slide/other parts I don't have.

Guess I can finish one of my 80% frames then bring it to fit the parts in it to the build party to show how some of the fitting is done.
This should be fun.

might even order 2 more PSA frames at there price point its pretty cheap to do so.

Back
Top Bottom