• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Project: Levergun

I just inherited a Marlin Model 336 .30-30 Manufatured in 1972. It is in excellent condition with the acception of some rust on the barrel in the area where the manufacturing stamp is located. Bore and bolt looks like it's never been fired. What can anyone tell me what I have? Is it a gold mine or a run of mill lever action rifle? Also, can some one suggest what to use to remove the rust in a way so's not to damage the finish? Any help and back ground would be greatly appreciated. I know nothing about lever action rifles and Marlin products. Thx....

Well, sounds like a run of the mill...as for gold mine, I dont' know, seems these days the price of everything is up.

As for the rust, it used to be black rust known as blueing and as such welcome. Once it gets red rusty, or unwelcome rust, we feel a need to remove it. I suppose its a bit of guilt for not maintainin it right over the years and we want the red rust gone. The red rust can be removed but it'll leave spots of silver (bare) metal among the welcome black rust we call blueing. And then we want it blued, it dosn't match, and its a viscious circle.

So, couple thoughts...

1. Clean and oil the gun properly and leave the red rust in its place among the black blueing if the red rust is not too bad.

2. Scrub the gun with hoppes 9 and 0000 steel wool to remove the red rust....then reclean and oil properly and then you'll have to decide if the silver specs where the red rust used to be is mor or less disconcerting than the red rust was.

3. If the silver flecks bother, you'll have to decide between touch up blue or a full strip and reblue.

Well, sounds like a run of the mill...as for gold mine, I dont' know, seems these days the price of everything is up.

As for the rust, it used to be black rust known as blueing and as such welcome. Once it gets red rusty, or unwelcome rust, we feel a need to remove it. I suppose its a bit of guilt for not maintainin it right over the years and we want the red rust gone. The red rust can be removed but it'll leave spots of silver (bare) metal among the welcome black rust we call blueing. And then we want it blued, it dosn't match, and its a viscious circle.

So, couple thoughts...

1. Clean and oil the gun properly and leave the red rust in its place among the black blueing if the red rust is not too bad.

2. Scrub the gun with hoppes 9 and 0000 steel wool to remove the red rust....then reclean and oil properly and then you'll have to decide if the silver specs where the red rust used to be is mor or less disconcerting than the red rust was.

3. If the silver flecks bother, you'll have to decide between touch up blue or a full strip and reblue.

None of the rust is red. The rust is black. I don't want to scrub off the blueing so using steel wool is not an option. I would like too preserve the rifle but also be able to use it. Obviously stopping any further rust is a priority but I also want to remove what has already accumilated. The rifle was not abused but it was not properly oiled. Now that I have it I will properly maintain it. Do you think that if I use Hoppes 9 and a nylon gun brush it will help in removing the rust?

Actually, if you use even copper wool, the red will come off and leave the bright silver spots. Toothbrush and hoppes will be gentelest. Bout the best I can suggest then is to keep it lightly oiled with somethin like eexox or Rig grease or regular old johnsons paste wax.

The other thing about the rifle is that the trigger is gold/brass colored. I have seen newer version described as having a gold plated trigger. Is it possible that the one I have is also gold plated?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359912746.350912.jpg

Okay if pics proves it happened. Last Saturday I found and purchased a 336 in 30-30 caliber that was made in 1968. It had the super high see thru mounts and a Bushnell 3-9 scope that you had to be a contortionist to see thru. It was just a standard looking 1968 looking Marlin with factory finish with a few nicks and dings. I completely disassembled it. Cleaned everything. Polished metal imperfections with 0000 steel wool and touched up the bluing. Stripped and refinished the stock with 4 coats of rung oil finished with liberal rubbings between finish applications. I ordered a big loop lever and added XS ghost ring sights. Sorry I don't have patience for step by step photos but you get the idea and I'm more than pleased with the result.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359913299.237718.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359913315.433586.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359913333.869899.jpg

Back
Top Bottom