• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Winchester 1897 project

Burning Love

Default rank <5000 posts Supporter
tat-man
93   0
Reaction score
IMG_6728.jpeg

She’s a work in progress, but damn she’s pretty!

I bought this 1931 manufactured Winchester 1897 all messed up. A combination of improper reassembly and worn parts had it in a sad state. As of right now, it’s still not functioning 100% but I have some parts on the way to hopefully get her back up and running soon.

So far I disassembled it completely and reassembled it properly (I almost forgot these older guns are a bit trickier than the standard ARs with tight tolerances I’m used to working on lately)
Replaced a worn sear
Replaced a worn sear spring
Chopped the 30” barrel down to about 19” and drilled and tapped the new front bead

The old shotty is functioning much better already.

The only hold up is a couple parts have been so worn from the years that the hammer doesn’t make it back quite far enough to cock when cycling.

IMG_6718.jpeg

I currently have a new hammer on the way, and if that doesn’t fix the problem, a new breechbolt will be next

Almost time for slamfire!

Great shotgun! As you can see by my handle I have used a few of them. Almost all in 12 gauge.
When I wore a younger man's clothes and had one in hand many times . I like them a bunch.
Definitely one of the greatest designs.

I rebuilt two of these. One was a 1904 manufacture, the other a 1920s-30s. Both, like yours, had been in parts and pieces. Both were take down models, with one having been welded together.

I had an old gunsmith ask me if I knew why they were called Model "97"s. He said it was because there were 97 parts inside the receiver!

I got both working with care and close attention. One was missing the fore stock and since it was so expensive I hand carved one out of bamboo for it. I did have to replace some parts on both and actually fabricate some things that can't be purchased today.

They are great great guns. Good on you for restoring a classic.

Before and after of the one that was welded together:

IMG_9516.jpeg

IMG_8645.jpeg

IMG_0472.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom