• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Philip Seymour Hoffman dead.....OD

A tragedy is also based on a person's perspective. I'm sure that there are those that are very negatively effected by this, so yes, it is tragic, just not to you.
Oh and, lighten up Francis. It's OK to feel sympathy for someone even when you disagree with why a bad thing happened to them.
A bad thing did not 'happen' to him. HE DID IT TO HIMSELF. If he got struck by lighting, I'd feel bad for him (Assuming he wasn't running around on a roof top with a lighting rod in his hand). Every death, untimely or not, is not a tragedy. Some times, it's simply the natural and predictable end to a series of choices individuals make. Nothing more, northing less. This is another example of society's willingness to eliminate personal responsbility from our collective thinking. Everyone is a victim. :rolleyes:

A bad thing did not 'happen' to him. HE DID IT TO HIMSELF. If he got struck by lighting, I'd feel bad for him (Assuming he wasn't running around on a roof top with a lighting rod in his hand). Every death, untimely or not, is not a tragedy. Some times, it's simply the natural and predictable end to a series of choices individuals make. Nothing more, northing less. This is another example of society's willingness to eliminate personal responsbility from our collective thinking. Everyone is a victim. :rolleyes:

I'm going to play the semantics card a little here.

A bad thing did indeed still happen even though it was self inflicted. If I accidentally shoot myself in the foot, a bad thing has still happened even though I am at fault.

I'm going to play the semantics card a little here.

A bad thing did indeed still happen even though it was self inflicted. If I accidentally shoot myself in the foot, a bad thing has still happened even though I am at fault.
I'm just a hard ass I guess. I have a real hard time feeling the same level of a sympathy for a smoker that gets lung cancer (some of my very own family by the way) as a guy that gets killed by a drunk driver. Again, personal responsibility.

I think it is a tragedy that anyone is so lost they turn to drugs to fill a void in their life. Even worse when they lose their life for lack of knowledge.
Very sad to see even one lost.

I'm just a hard ass I guess. I have a real hard time feeling the same level of a sympathy for a smoker that gets lung cancer (some of my very own family by the way) as a guy that gets killed by a drunk driver. Again, personal responsibility.

I hear ya. I was just being a pain. :thumb:

i1256.photobucket.com_albums_ii489_454LS_6_e3550e09ced5a07191bfeeffce624371_zps559e857f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom