• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New and Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have anything to hide but that being said, I have no desire for the government to know my business (any more than they already do), therefore, I tend to purchase firearms from individuals instead of purchasing it from a dealer where registration is required.

I don't believe that it is the intention of most people to buy a firearm that can't be traced to them just so they can break the law and blame it on the previous owner, the point is that it isn't anyones business what I own...including the person that sells it to me...no bill of sale for me!

Just my two cents...
We live in GA, no registration is required. The form 4473 stays with the FFL. In the event that the gun turns up in a crime or something, the authorities can track the gun back to the FFL who transferred it an get the 4473 from them. The only time the FFL reports or "registers" you is if make multi-gun purchases.

That being said, I like to keep the government out of my business as much as possible too and do PTP trades as often as possible. Unfortunately, nowadays new guns at a handful of good retailers are cheaper than the used ones I come across. Like the $650 Beretta 92FS's I come across all the time that Cherokee has for $499.

We live in GA, no registration is required. The form 4473 stays with the FFL. In the event that the gun turns up in a crime or something, the authorities can track the gun back to the FFL who transferred it an get the 4473 from them. The only time the FFL reports or "registers" you is if make multi-gun purchases.

That being said, I like to keep the government out of my business as much as possible too and do PTP trades as often as possible. Unfortunately, nowadays new guns at a handful of good retailers are cheaper than the used ones I come across. Like the $650 Beretta 92FS's I come across all the time that Cherokee has for $499.
I wasn't aware of that, only been in GA for a few years. Being raised in Oklahoma each firearm purchased was registered to that person (unless it's changed now)...Good information to have, thanks!

i didnt know that you didnt legally need proof that you sold the gun. i would have assumed that you needed more explanation if cops came to question you. if that is the case, then i can understand the other side to the argument.

flip side to your point though.. if he knows you own guns, why would he come to murder you. you have guns.. clearly. that's the last house i would be going to.. lol...
So you're also assuming that murderers think rationally?

To legally sell a firer in the state of Georgia;

It is illegal to KNOWINGLY sell a firearm to: A known felon
A nonresident
Someone under the age of 18.

I don't trade with dealerwannabees. If someone wants paperwork then an FFL will have to handle the transfer.

i didnt know that you didnt legally need proof that you sold the gun. i would have assumed that you needed more explanation if cops came to question you. if that is the case, then i can understand the other side to the argument.

flip side to your point though.. if he knows you own guns, why would he come to murder you. you have guns.. clearly. that's the last house i would be going to.. lol...

I've met nothing but nice guys on here doing trades. However, none of them are nice enough that I'm going to willingly give out my name and address. If it makes you feel good, by all means do a bill of sale but as others have stated it isn't required and won't really help you. I can understand it being a strange concept if you're from Florida, but it's really how it should be in all states.

Reactions: btk
To legally sell a firer in the state of Georgia;

It is illegal to KNOWINGLY sell a firearm to: A known felon
A nonresident
Someone under the age of 18.

I don't trade with dealerwannabees. If someone wants paperwork then an FFL will have to handle the transfer.

would some people be more open to an FFL as opposed to a BOS? is that a better route to take, if i want some kind of 'proof' of the sale? thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom