• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My Latest Project

As this is a learning process I though I might share what I learned today. A hacksaw blade,even one of excellent quality will polish case hardened parts quite nicely...

:/

- - - Updated - - -

As this is a learning process I though I might share what I learned today. A hacksaw blade,even one of excellent quality will polish case hardened parts quite nicely...

:/

- - - Updated - - -

:/[/QUOTE]

Do Tell ;)

Yup, I talked to a friend who suggested a cut-off wheel on a dremel as that's what he used in the past. Wouldn't ya know I don't have a dremel... Oh well, tool justification!

I don't doubt that I could easily acquire another barrel and cylinder. I'm trying to keep the budget down on this project for now so buying anything other than a spring kit isn't in the plans right now. It's a learning process for me with a focus on function over form, (for now.)

The other thing I don't want to do is to send anything off. I'd much rather find someone local or I might spring for one of the refinishing kits from Brownells and give it a go myself. Do you know of anyone local that does the Black Chrome finish? Is it shiny or can it be a matte finish?

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

The only people that I know that do Black Chrome are the guys in Alabama (who have an excellent reputation).

http://www.apwcogan.com/

They also do Matte Chrome and other finishes as well. They are not cheap, but they are very good (from what I've seen / others reports)
The work that I've seen compares favorably to NIB Blueing (except that it is Black) - Same "sheen".
Keep in mind: "coatings" that do not include some type of filling (like copper, etc) will NEVER cover up a badly scarred surface ... NEVER!

BTW: I wouldn't ignore the possibility of replacement parts without pricing them ... I've personally ended up spending
quite a bit more on DIY and ended up with getting far less ... except for the experience of doing so (FWIW) ... which isn't something
I want to invest any more money or time in right now!

Last edited:
The only people that I know that do Black Chrome are the guys in Alabama (who have an excellent reputation).

http://www.apwcogan.com/

They also do Matte Chrome and other finishes as well. They are not cheap, but they are very good (from what I've seen / others reports)
The work that I've seen compares favorably to NIB Blueing (except that it is Black) - Same "sheen".
Keep in mind: "coatings" that do not include some type of filling (like copper, etc) will NEVER cover up a badly scarred surface ... NEVER!

BTW: I wouldn't ignore the possibility of replacement parts without pricing them ... I've personally ended up spending
quite a bit more on DIY and ended up with getting far less ... except for the experience of doing so (FWIW) ... which isn't something
I want to invest any more money or time in right now!

I'll look into their website. Thanks for the link.

The way I see it, and I'm not arguing the excellent points you've made, if I screw something up beyond any hope of repair, then I can buy a new barrel, or cylinder, etc. I'm a constant tinkerer, so this fits right up my alley.

I don't have anything to add, I just want to keep up with the progress. BTW, you realize I don't normally go to the GunSmithing section of ODT! I am only here because I want to watch you succeed at the task at hand. So far, so good.

I don't have anything to add, I just want to keep up with the progress. BTW, you realize I don't normally go to the GunSmithing section of ODT! I am only here because I want to watch you succeed at the task at hand. So far, so good.

I thought you looked a little lost. :)

Thanks for the support. I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom