• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My Latest Project

I think you might be confusing me with Sharps40. His posts inspired me to attempt this project. I'm sort of feeling my way through this one my own self.

As you can see in this picture, the pitting on the cylinder is pretty deep. While I don't plan on using any high pressure loads in this pistol I don't want to remove too much metal either. I'll file a little more to blend it as best I can and leave it go until I get ready to strip the bluing.

I had planned to wait on this but decided to go ahead and pop the side plate while I was motivated. There's a little bit of surface rust but nothing I'm too concerned about.

I went ahead and removed all the clockwork and cleaned and polished each piece. Here's what a nekkid J frame looks like. :)

FWIW:

I would consider black chrome vs nickel ,,, I've owned nickel-plated pieces before and found that keeping them clean (without removing the nickel finish) is
nearly impossible. Also, is it possible that the MFG or parts houses have spare barrels and cylinders available?

My best wishes for every success in what looks to be quite a project!

FWIW:

I would consider black chrome vs nickel ,,, I've owned nickel-plated pieces before and found that keeping them clean (without removing the nickel finish) is
nearly impossible. Also, is it possible that the MFG or parts houses have spare barrels and cylinders available?

My best wishes for every success in what looks to be quite a project!

I don't doubt that I could easily acquire another barrel and cylinder. I'm trying to keep the budget down on this project for now so buying anything other than a spring kit isn't in the plans right now. It's a learning process for me with a focus on function over form, (for now.)

The other thing I don't want to do is to send anything off. I'd much rather find someone local or I might spring for one of the refinishing kits from Brownells and give it a go myself. Do you know of anyone local that does the Black Chrome finish? Is it shiny or can it be a matte finish?

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom