• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

My Latest Project

Wheeler

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
132   0
Reaction score
I picked up a Model 36-1 a few days ago that according to the seller (not from here), had "a little honest holster wear." I think he actually kept the gun in the bottom of his tackle box... The price was reasonable and the pistol was in good mechanical condition. I went ahead and purchased it and started to clean it up. As it turns out it has probably had less than a box of shells put through it. There is almost no turn line on the cylinder and no marks on the recoil shield.

I cleaned most of the external crap and goo off, lubed the yoke and cylinder and function tested it. I didn't take the time to set up a paper target but I hit the 3"x3" label on a coffee can five out of five times from seven yards. That's good enough to start with.

Here are a few pictures for your macarbe enjoyment...

The goal is to do an action job, bob the hammer, round the trigger, chamfer the cylinders, recrown the muzzle and possibly file the sight to a patridge or semi-patridge profile and then have the gun coated. I'm looking at and pricing several different options including a hot cerakote, and a satin nickel finish. There is way too much pitting for a rebluing.

Last edited:
I had planned to most of the metal work, (crowning, chamfering and filing) myself but will farm out the finish work this time. I'll check it out as I haven't heard of that process before.

Thanks for the information!

I started on some of the filing this evening. Here are a couple of before and after shots.

Rough filing and blending done. The next step here will be finish sanding and buffing.

This is by far the worst area on the gun. I'm leaning towards a parkerized finish or a satin nickel because on this area.

After more filing...

I don't think I'll do anymore filing at this point in this location. I'll scour the area of rust and see if it can be filled in.

Back
Top Bottom