• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mr. Belly Gun

Yeah, it'll be purtty....not sure if I'll keep it. We'll see how I like it when done. If I absolutely love it, it'll prolly get sold and I'll do another! I think I love the process more.

If yer still painting guns....stop it.

Why?

Because bluing is better and you can't easily remove dog hairs from a painted gun.

Cylinder and screws, etc are done and in the bag coated in oil and Rig grease awaiting completion of the frame and barrel....probably finish this one, except for the rear sight, this weekend. I need to order a rear sight.

i.imgur.com_710AC3f.jpg

i.imgur.com_5yTOpir.jpg

i.imgur.com_xLVqTGp.jpg

Getting ready to send the barreled action in for the overnight rusting. At this point, its carded after its third cycle. Looking just fine satiny velvety purty. If all go's well, bluing will be completed tomorrow evening.

i.imgur.com_7bypsWW.jpg

i.imgur.com_TDlVGqY.jpg

Resting in oil. Looks like tonight will be cleaning and assembly. Sooner if ice prevents Ol John Lee from getting up the driveway to work again!

i.imgur.com_0fSzPof.jpg

i.imgur.com_31vJREV.jpg

i.imgur.com_QEyjwHF.jpg

i.imgur.com_JDvnu1C.jpg

Still greasy and the dog licked it and I'm still waiting on the rear sight leaf and figgerin on the ejector rod but it sure went together nice. The out of spec grip frame was the worst part of the fit....lots of hand work to move the durn screw holes down and in to match the frame!

But, here it sits at the 95% level and if it were warm enough and I hadn't frozen a brake drum by applying the Ebrake on a durn cold day I'da might coulda done more with the ejector rod housing tonight. But we'll see, a steel one is not off the shelf yet either....might just need steel in the final analysis. But, should be shootable if its nice this weekend!

i.imgur.com_Tiq4UsK.jpg

i.imgur.com_1o29zqP.jpg

i.imgur.com_yJzWt2Y.jpg

i.imgur.com_BAX43Jo.jpg

i.imgur.com_xZzZg7l.jpg

i.imgur.com_hUYcG35.jpg

i.imgur.com_OisqDIY.jpg

i.imgur.com_3qq0dGP.jpg

Experimenting on the aluminum ejector rod housing....already shortened at the back to fit on a true 3.5" barrel....now a notch in the side to cam the ejector button out of the way. This will allow full removal of the cylinder pin, anytime, without removing the entire ejector rod housing. Two benefits, no wear and tear on the threaded hole in the barrel where the ejector rod housing screw is installed and no need to shorten the head of the cylinder pin so much that its hard to grip when you do want to pull it out.

So, hopefully the EHR ordered is in fact steel and I an shorten it for this barrel and put in a neat notch. Then I'll have matching blued steel and no alloy but the rear sight on this fine old gun.

With the cylinder unlocked, it is lined up and the Button depressed and rotated out of the way in its new notch..

i.imgur.com_7G6KCqv.jpg

Install or withdraw the cylinder pin as the case may be...

i.imgur.com_5kB6Mco.jpg

All together and ready to go. The notch can be made much smaller by smoothing and reshaping the ejector buttons shank. That might be next. And finally....function is smooth. No catching or bouncing. Rounded edges leading in and out and for the most part, I don't know the notch is there until I use it.

i.imgur.com_CQ7o1xD.jpg

From the show side, the notch is barely noticeable.

i.imgur.com_TZnQklM.jpg

Back
Top Bottom