• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mr. Belly Gun

Some loss of figure on the rounded portions but still looks great 90% finished.

Bare wood here....Worm holes top and bottom and spalting add character to the left grip panel...

i.imgur.com_XfOi1wI.jpg

i.imgur.com_5bGlevK.jpg

A touch of urethane to bring out the grain and colors.

i.imgur.com_rss8DDS.jpg

Good color and figure on the right panel. The flattened portion of the backstrap needs more shaping but comes in to its own allowing a thicker set of grip panels without increasing pull length. The feel at this point is quite good....just a bit more shaping to do and then to shape up the backstrap and get the lower end finished.

i.imgur.com_cm5EHfU.jpg

Finally. Got the upper rear out of spec screw holes milled down by hand the 10 to 20 thousands needed for good alignment of all the screw holes in the frame. The overall shape is established and the first buff to show any hidden flaws that need more work before the final 220g finish on the SS grip frame. Now I can final fit those crazy good looking grip panels.

i.imgur.com_vrZsTUv.jpg

i.imgur.com_0zDNVQL.jpg

And after the final shaping and rounding of the inner edges so the interface between metal and wood doesn't cut skin, about the umptheenth coat of clear urethane rubbed in hard to the grip panels. Probably two or three more coats rubbed in and rubbed out will finish the grip panels. Now to find a colt ejector button and rod and work on the cylinder bevel.

i.imgur.com_XfViMui.jpg

i.imgur.com_8rajK6q.jpg

i.imgur.com_BS78p77.jpg

i.imgur.com_A3l47Sd.jpg

Coming along. Gonna forgo the Bisley hammer, 140 for a RP ain't worth 1/8" lower.

As for the rest, I want the colt nickel ejector rod button and will probably scallop the recoil shield and loading gate. Not sure if I'll put in a cartridge viewing port in the left recoil shield. I am contemplating some Virginian Dragoon top strap carving, not sure yet how to jig it up for the cuts though.
And, I am not sure if I'll keep the aluminum ejector rod housing.....I think I will but I can't decide if it should be silver/bare aluminum or baked flat black paint. But its cold out and I keeps workin at it!

For now.....time to round over the face of the cylinder.

Low speed on the drill press and some action with file and 120g paper. Just round over the front edge to slip easier into holsters. Do not round over too deep.....depth of the flutes is the gauge. Even or proud of that depth and you do not uncover the back of the barrel. 45 caliber is harder.....not as much metal between the cylinder wall and the circumference of the cylinder....go to far and you risk uncovering a portion of the barrel at the gap.....more gas leakage. A little bit go's a long way.

Looks better when finished too, front of the flutes rounding in instead of straight out......as close to the butchers melt as I'll ever get I suppose. Don't know if it really eases holstering but it sure looks good with the flutes rounded at both ends when its completed and blued.

Also, first passes on the circumference with 120g and the freckling of years of use shows as light pitting. I suspect the vast majority will polish out with out too much effort and the remainder will be hidden in the mated finish. Should look spankey good when blued.

i.imgur.com_X7Mn21Y.jpg

i.imgur.com_t7juRnu.jpg

i.imgur.com_8ARumoD.jpg

Coming along. Gonna forgo the Bisley hammer, 140 for a RP ain't worth 1/8" lower.

As for the rest, I want the colt nickel ejector rod button and will probably scallop the recoil shield and loading gate. Not sure if I'll put in a cartridge viewing port in the left recoil shield. I am contemplating some Virginian Dragoon top strap carving, not sure yet how to jig it up for the cuts though.
And, I am not sure if I'll keep the aluminum ejector rod housing.....I think I will but I can't decide if it should be silver/bare aluminum or baked flat black paint. But its cold out and I keeps workin at it!
Black/blued....ss button and rod?

Back
Top Bottom