• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mr. Belly Gun

I think you are a master. To say I'm impressed would be an understatement! Incredible craftsmanship and handwork! I thank you for posting it so we could follow and learn from you!

Back from the range where all three firearms tested worked wonderfully. The new S&W 457 did what all 3rd gen Smiths do....runs perfect, hits dead on the top of the front sight with 230g ball and slays steel invaders at the range all the way out to 30m with alarming regularity. My smallest pepper popper is 12" tall and 3" wide. With a two handed hold at 15m the 457 keeps it dancing thru an entire magazine. So, three new mags on the way and this one is ready for service in a Bianchi 5 holster right now.

As for the 50th Anniversary 357 Blackhawk, its right on and dead reliable. With the cylinder clicker and free spin ejector out, it functions in the manner I am accustomed to and I like it enough to begin tweaking it my way. Bisley guts are on the way as you read this.

And to Mr. Belly Gun. Full function and totally reliable. The new and slightly taller Hunter rear sight leaf corrects the elevation properly and from 148g LSWC 38s to Full House 357s with 125g HP and 158g HP, there is sufficient windage and elevation in both the front and rear sights to adjust this one any way you want it. I think it'll make a fine daily carry and sturdy workhorse and even a 25 yard deer or hog slayer.

So, to the meat and taters of the project, the culminating event, the Range Trip.

Here's the boys on the range, ready to go.

i.imgur.com_jYEYeHK.jpg

Even the heavy bullet loads show perfect indentation of the primers and no problems. Recoil with the heavy bullets is noticeable but not telling.....however, the recoil up is rapid with the BirdsHead grip and after about 100 rounds, I noticed, Mr. Belly Gun exacted his own price for all the time spent under the file and in the boil.

i.imgur.com_uxacrAj.jpg

This initial run was sufficient to start shaking loose all the extra oil on the gun and a good second/after bluing clean up is in order!

i.imgur.com_jptvUIo.jpg

These are the first six shots fired at about 10 or so meters. CCI Blazer 158g JHP from the bench.

i.imgur.com_fzwLtSG.jpg

About 150 rounds into the testing of Mr. Belly Gun with Full House 158s and 125s, both bench and offhand, I note that he does in fact have a bit of a bite. So, first blood for Mr. Belly Gun.

i.imgur.com_NfibJb3.jpg

Not a cut.....abrasion. Much the same as firing +P or 357 Mags from the tiny and light weight J frame Smiths..... I found that I was chokeing up on the grip some.....relaxing and moving just slightly down to a better grip position and I didn't have any more problems.

i.imgur.com_smcd3ps.jpg

And here, for fun and from the bench. Several cylinders each of 148g 38 Special LSWC followed by 158g 357 Mags and 125g 357 Mags. Range is 10 or so meters. Perfect. We clanged steel poppers and plates bench and off hand out to 30m. Fine sight adjustments can be made once a carry load is selected.

i.imgur.com_qtXQyQH.jpg

Done and Happy. Another good on ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom