• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mr. Belly Gun

Sharps40

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
Sore leg. Can't walk or sit or lay down or get back up.....so....stuck in the house and figgered I'd see what I could do during short sessions sitting at the bench with a cosmetically worn but mechanically fine three screw.

I like the Sheriff style for carry but with ejection system rather than a bare barrel. Thought I'd give a whirl to modifying the Ruger factory parts for functional ejection with a 3.5" barrel rather than spend and wait for Cimarron parts to come in. Sort of an I got it here and am board just chewin antiinflamatories and prednisone and watchin videos kinda deal.....

For starters......

Shorten and crown the barrel with a recontour of the sharp edge at the muzzle left after the cut and squaring. This action got me a 3.5"ish barrel, just enough for ejector function and got rid of some rather heavy pitting on the exterior of the muzzle.

i.imgur.com_rzpkYL1.jpg

Lopped off one bump on the cylinder pin to get a longer ejector stroke. Again, it gives just enough to lift the cases out so they can be dropped or plucked clear of the chambers. Also recut the grooves in the cylinder rod so the edges are sharp for a better grab when withdrawing the pin.

i.imgur.com_k9WFqTx.jpg

A factory length ejector rod housing next to the newly shortened original. All hand work with file and saw. Scribing and cutting in guide lines to make it too long to begin with and hand filing the shoulders to the final fit. The newly shortened alloy EHR is slightly shorter than the barrel with is slightly longer than 3.5" The factory spring and the ejector rod is shortened a commensurate amount to fit the new housing length.

i.imgur.com_DF8QcrL.jpg

Just have to drill and tap for the retention screw and we'll have all the original but now somewhat shorter parts back in place and functional. Nice thing is....2 hours work, no cost, no waiting for parts and its all back on there an the proper length for a belly gun.

i.imgur.com_92wsfqG.jpg

i.imgur.com_0TCSPxl.jpg

Oh yeah, this one is a Clickety Clack....no conversion guts. A true 5 shot 6 Shooter that spells Colt when you draw the hammer back thru its 4 distinct clicks.

Started another Sharps? Man, the pimp gun is still on the bench , right? Been waiting to see the last of that one come together too. But that's cool....all your stuff keeps me entertained...and learnin some.

Nice job and recrown. Wish I was handy with a smith machine. What/s your plans for the front sight?

Maybe Rocky Mountain base and coin blade. (sorta practicing and building up to sightin the Pimp Cannon/Gentlemens Workhorse).

Don't need machines to do this type of good work. Hand tools and where critical, piloted cutters and such. All my work is for teachin folks how to break down complex into simpler logical and unpowered steps.

Started another Sharps? Man, the pimp gun is still on the bench , right? Been waiting to see the last of that one come together too. But that's cool....all your stuff keeps me entertained...and learnin some.

Yeah, seems I may have either ripped a muscle/tendon or knee in the left leg. Mostly sittin around chewin prednisone and anti inflamatories waitin for an MRI consult. But when it feels good I can get up a bit and tinker. GoodWife won't let me ride the tractor and pushing down the clutch in my 65 C10 is pure hell and liquid fire but I gotta do something other than videos!

I did read The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks. Short at under 200 pages but what a deliciously fiendish and captivating romp thru the broken mind of a child serial killer! WOW! Awesome work of fiction. I'd read it again just for fun. Would make a neat movie or mini series.

A hole is drilled and tapped 8x40 for the EHR housing retention screw. Its depth is the same as factory, just shy of 3 threads deep.

i.imgur.com_UZBheOs.jpg

Assembled, and checked for function....the cylinder pin can not be withdrawn quite enough to release the cylinder.

i.imgur.com_uKCWw8f.jpg

So, the head of the ejector button is thinned and the face of the cylinder pin ground down just a touch more. And now on reassembly, the cylinder pin remains captive by the ejector rod assembly but the cylinder can be easily removed. So now, like the New Model, the EHR housing must be removed to fully withdraw the cylinder pin for thorough cleaning and maintenance but that's not much of a draw back for a short barrel and functional ejection.

i.imgur.com_t0Nm7Pl.jpg

In order to achieve the fullest possible ejection stroke, the undercut of the ejector rod must be extended about 1/4 to 3/8 inch toward the ejector rod head. Roughed in file work and we'll finish and polish the rod later. The shorter modified rod compared to a factory rod.

i.imgur.com_VDPS5CH.jpg

A touch more stroke is available thru finishing the ejector rod undercut. At this point, spring stack is not a problem either.

i.imgur.com_qV5Ncru.jpg

As currently modified, and I'd consider the ejection system 80% completed now, there is more than adequate lift of fired cases to allow them to drop out or be plucked from the cylinder bores.

i.imgur.com_v3ErkfE.jpg

And here, the cylinder pin fully withdrawn, captive against loss but the cylinder easily installed and removed. So, overall, success. No parts to buy. Just some time and effort for a Sheriff with full function ejection.

i.imgur.com_CsxkvMc.jpg

Wow, bet that knee dosent feel too good. I had to have a miniscus repaired on the right last year. Significant amount of arthritis keeps mine swelled up, have to let the butcher drain it once every four weeks or so. If not it starts pressing on everything when it swells and I can't stand it. So I feel for ya.
Sherrif model looking good!

A cool belly gun needs a cool front sight and anyway, this gives me some practice for makin up a sight for the Pimp Cannon/Gentlemans Workhorse. Sort of preproduction sperimentation as the PC/GW will probably morph into a sort barreled 45 ACP revolver for +P and Ruger Only ACP handloads.

But....to the experiment.

A Rocky Mountain front sight, from an ancient Boys Rifle w/ German Silver blade, about 100ish years old and .470" wide.....

i.imgur.com_99EqjZn.jpg

German silver blade desoldered, base thinned to standard .375 groove and an Indian Head Nickle cut out and prepped to serve as the Front Sight Blade. .560" high finished height for some adjustability in elevation and against heavy bullet loadings in this revolver. (Rear sight has the low blade in it now and I can switch to a high blade if that will regulate w/o having to cut or trim the front sight.....trimming the front will require following the countours of the headdress to keep it looking good.)

i.imgur.com_GNWe372.jpg

Clamped, fluxed and silver soldered into place. Should be as strong or stronger as the soft soldered original. That plus this coin blade is about twice or more as thick as the original German Silver blade that was in the base.

i.imgur.com_8mEZIty.jpg

After a bit of clean up.

i.imgur.com_guPMWLr.jpg

Quick check, yep, its pretty much straight up and down.

i.imgur.com_8LoTxVC.jpg

Profile shots....now that's what I call a Coin Front Sight with some character.

i.imgur.com_3TZqPvL.jpg

i.imgur.com_LJigRt0.jpg

Grip arrived. SS. New model. Will have to adapt it to the old model frame and trigger but that's easy. Some thin grips too....stabilized amboyna burl if I can find a chunk big enough. But, for $73 on clearance from midwayusa, I couldn't pass it up. No rust and no peeled paint down the road neither. I wonder how it would look and fit slightly rounded in the butt and toe?

i.imgur.com_TtPBNUI.jpg

Back
Top Bottom