• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Metal Detecting...

I'm trying to think of what the old 92 bridge is....Is it south from where hunt rd. intersects with 92? We never went that far down the creek. We live much further up the creek. I live in the neighborhoods off 92 in-between where Wade Green dead ends into 92 and Woodstock rd. intersects with 92. I can literally throw a rock to the creek from my porch. And about that mine; If you mean east of what I believe is what you call the old bridge then maybe the mine you speak of is the one that was in Kennesaw. I had a discussion with dent myers about panning and he brought up the mine. Apparently it was an open pit mine/top level, maybe? But anyways he said they leveled it to build a baseball field/park, haha! I mentioned clark creek to him and he said he believed that was the creek that ran by it/next to the mine. He wasn't too sure but maybe that is what you're thinking of.

EDIT: I have some old maps of the Kennesaw/Acworth area and there is a mine marked north of Alabama rd. inbetween Acworth and Woodstock..So much has changed though that I don't know exactly where it would be. That wouldn't be the one that was in Kennesaw so maybe that is the mine you have on your map too.

Last edited:
I have a cheap $40 detector from Harbor Freight Tools. I started MDing this past March and I've found a bunch of stuff. The best finds were in my neighbor's yard(1930s residential house). I found several mercury dimes, a ton of wheat pennies, 1 indian head cent, lead toy soldier, 50 cal BMG bullet(kinda weird), and a Confederate Founder's Roll medal. I like to hunt private and public land(where legal). Most valuable find was 2 gold(14K) wedding rings that were stuck together. I traded them for a nice semi-auto 12 ga shotgun at a local pawn shop.

ODT Newbie/Metal detecting Rookie chiming in.
Hey all, I'm new to the ODT, so i've been checking things out and ran across this tread. I have a Garrett GTA 500 circa 1991 that my folks gave me, It has virtually no hrs on it except when i would visit them and take it to New Smyrna Bch. in Fla...Can't wait to take it out and see what i can find around N.Ga..Glad to have found ODT and this tread.
I'll do my homework and find the do's ad don't's with detecting on private and public land, but wanted to know if anyone has been close to Persimmon Valley in Clayton,Ga ? I go there often to wheel my Jeep, camp and fish.
Thanks

I must say I have an appreciation for metal detecting. I lost my wedding ring in the ocean years ago in Charleston during my first year of marriage. While searching the beach after the tide went out hours later, a couple walked up decked out in gear and helped me look for it. Within a few minutes, we found it buried 3 inches deep in the sand.

Been wanting to give this a try for many years so I finally placed my order with Kellyco. Ordered the Fisher F2 package and now just waiting for it to arrive. Making my list of spots from my childhood to go hunting with it.

Bought a Garrett Ace 350 last year, but haven't had much luck finding places to go. Any suggestions?

Start at your local library. Research (newspaper clippings, local history books & maps) for old gathering places such as churches, picnic areas, playgrounds, schools, etc. Anywhere lots of people used to gather "back in the day". Also check out your local area museum. You can usually find lots of old pictures showing possible hunting sites and maybe even some Civil War era maps. Another way to find good leads is to ask senior citizens about it. Some of the old timers can remember where they used to gather as children and most of them will enjoy telling you the stories. Make a list of potential sites and start asking permission. Stay persistent. The good hunting spots will come and nice finds will follow. Maybe try to find a hunting buddy in your area to keep you motivated.

{edit} If you're not already a member, check out this forum: http://metaldetectingforum.com

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom