• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Metal Detecting...

I use 4 different detectors depending on conditions.
Nothing works well in Virginia iron soil.
I use a Fisher 1270 in normal soils... In Texas I got Republic of Texas buttons and some Mex artifacts.
In Savannah I use a Whites MXT. In Tennessee I got an Oval CS plate
Locally I use a shadow X2 or a Tesoro Golden. In Alabama I got an AVC boxplate
I use a Sidewinder for seeded hunts
I've found a ton of stuff over the years, but it’s becoming difficult to find a place to hunt. Most of the spots I used to hunt are paved now or illegal.
Good luck

i46.tinypic.com_2ni5i60.jpg

i49.tinypic.com_28u5xxx.jpg

i48.tinypic.com_34r94eo.jpg

Last edited:
I started metal detecting this year. It's a fun hobby to pass time when I am bored. So far (have'nt been much) I have found some recent coins, spent bullets, about a 80-100 year old horse shoe, old tin and aluminum cans and some other odds and ins. I bought the Ace 250 from Hobbytown. Most people who do detect say to spend 100.00 in detector, per inch you want to go down. Right now I am building a gold dredge, that is some fun stuff too.

The best all round machine for relics is Tesoro Tejon, but it has manuel ground balance. Just starting out i would say fisher 1265 or 66 it has auto ground balance. Found lots of relics over the years with a 1265 and 66 . Just get the most machine you can afford cause youll get mad with a cheap detector digging a lot of trash and give up real quick. check out Kellyco on-line you can usually find good trade ins there

Join up with the GPAA and you can detect on their claims. I'll be joining up before spring as soon as I catch up from Christmas and try some panning.

Back
Top Bottom