• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kids under 19 buying pistols

Should people under 21 have their own pistols?

• Yes

Votes: 50 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Depends on if their life is in Danger

Votes: 5 7.7%

• Total voters
Can you or can you not be post certified at 18, and then carry a gun as a LEO? If so, what makes an 18 year old with no firearm experience more qualified than someone who has shot all their life, just because of a couple weeks of mandate school? Just sayin.

I don't think you can be a cop or deputy under 21. Could be wrong but I don't think so. Otherwise, I get your point. And now I know what to tell my 19 year old daughter who has no job and is currently making a worn out spot on my couch.:cool:

My baby brother was mandated at 18, on patrol at 19, and a FTO at the ripe old age of 20.

I don't think you can be a cop or deputy under 21. Could be wrong but I don't think so. Otherwise, I get your point. And now I know what to tell my 19 year old daughter who has no job and is currently making a worn out spot on my couch.:cool:
I went to work as a police officer when I was 20. I had to get the chief of police to write a letter so I could purchase my service weapon. That was 1982 and the laws may have since changed. At that time you had to be 19 to work as a police officer, but could be a deputy at 18. Go figure.
My daughter is 20 and I gave her a pistol. I would be leary about selling one to someone inder 21, on the other hand.

Georgia law has two crimes related to under 18 persons in possession of handguns. One for the young person to do it, and a totally different law making it a crime for an adult to supply a handgun to a minor under 18 (including "recklessly" allowing the kid access to it, even if that was not your intention and you didn't know it would happen).

Would I sell a handgun to a 19 year old?
Yeah, I probably would, if he showed me his I.D. and gave me a legitimate reason for wanting it, realizing that he cannot carry it (outside of his home, his vehicle, his land, or his place of business) because he isn't old enough for a carry license. I'd insist on a bill of sale (I usually do, anyway).
I would be more likely to sell a large handgun than a small one. Small pistols show an intent to carry them concealed, and that's generally not legal for teenagers.
Larger handguns are good for hunting, target shooting, home defense, vehicle defense... all perfectly legit purposes even for a 19 year old.

P.S. I'm not impressed with the argument that some 18 year olds have jobs in the military that involve handling weapons, so we should just sell guns to anybody over 18 no questions asked. People in the military are already background-checked and screened. People answering your ad about your pistol for sale are not. People in the military have already shown that they have character and aspire to be moral, honorable people by choosing to serve their country that way. I don't know the same thing about the young person who wants to buy my gun. He could be a known trouble-maker with a long history of being arrested and sent into the juvenile justice system, and even a few arrests since he turned 18, but no disqualifying convictions yet. He might aspire to be a burger-flipper and pot-smoking stoner his whole life. I don't know. At least I know the person in the military is on the right path.

And people in the military have a lot of supervision. They aren't just issued guns and turned loose. They are trained and conditioned to only use those guns in the prescribed manner and upon orders from their superiors. They answer to a slew of higher-ranking enlisted persons and officers.

But still, I'd sell a pistol to a young civilian if he or she impressed me as a responsible person and seemed level-headed and reasonable.

P.S. I'm not impressed with the argument that some 18 year olds have jobs in the military that involve handling weapons, so we should just sell guns to anybody over 18 no questions asked. People in the military are already background-checked and screened. People answering your ad about your pistol for sale are not. People in the military have already shown that they have character and aspire to be moral, honorable people by choosing to serve their country that way. I don't know the same thing about the young person who wants to buy my gun. He could be a known trouble-maker with a long history of being arrested and sent into the juvenile justice system, and even a few arrests since he turned 18, but no disqualifying convictions yet. He might aspire to be a burger-flipper and pot-smoking stoner his whole life. I don't know. At least I know the person in the military is on the right path.

And people in the military have a lot of supervision. They aren't just issued guns and turned loose. They are trained and conditioned to only use those guns in the prescribed manner and upon orders from their superiors. They answer to a slew of higher-ranking enlisted persons and officers.

But still, I'd sell a pistol to a young civilian if he or she impressed me as a responsible person and seemed level-headed and reasonable.
Not sure where you got your "trained and conditioned" information from.

The only people who are exstensively trained are combat arms.

Other job skills such as communications or supply rarely receive more then the training they received in basic.

Most personnel in the Army also receive ZERO training on handguns unless the are an officer or Military Police (yes there are exceptions)

Jessica Lynch's unit is a prime example. One of the contributing factors to her capture was the fact that their weapons malfunctioned bc they failed to maintain them.

As far as the moral argument goes. During the surge in 2008 the military was granting criminal waivers to just about any one who would sign on the dotted line.

Back
Top Bottom