• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kids under 19 buying pistols

Should people under 21 have their own pistols?

• Yes

Votes: 50 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Depends on if their life is in Danger

Votes: 5 7.7%

• Total voters
So the military issues guns and other weapons of war to people without training in weapons, or conditioning about how to use them in stressful situations while following orders?
Okay then. I guess soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines are just like burger flippers. (sarcasm)

Not sure where you got your "trained and conditioned" information from.

The only people who are exstensively trained are combat arms.

Other job skills such as communications or supply rarely receive more then the training they received in basic.

Most personnel in the Army also receive ZERO training on handguns unless the are an officer or Military Police (yes there are exceptions)

Jessica Lynch's unit is a prime example. One of the contributing factors to her capture was the fact that their weapons malfunctioned bc they failed to maintain them.

As far as the moral argument goes. During the surge in 2008 the military was granting criminal waivers to just about any one who would sign on the dotted line.

It depends on the unit. I was a Satellite guy and I've qualified with M-16, m-4, m203, m249 and m9. I've also been to the armorers course and was the unit armorer for 2 years.

P.S. I'm not impressed with the argument that some 18 year olds have jobs in the military that involve handling weapons, so we should just sell guns to anybody over 18 no questions asked. People in the military are already background-checked and screened. People answering your ad about your pistol for sale are not. People in the military have already shown that they have character and aspire to be moral, honorable people by choosing to serve their country that way. I don't know the same thing about the young person who wants to buy my gun. He could be a known trouble-maker with a long history of being arrested and sent into the juvenile justice system, and even a few arrests since he turned 18, but no disqualifying convictions yet. He might aspire to be a burger-flipper and pot-smoking stoner his whole life. I don't know. At least I know the person in the military is on the right path.

And people in the military have a lot of supervision. They aren't just issued guns and turned loose. They are trained and conditioned to only use those guns in the prescribed manner and upon orders from their superiors. They answer to a slew of higher-ranking enlisted persons and officers.

But still, I'd sell a pistol to a young civilian if he or she impressed me as a responsible person and seemed level-headed and reasonable.

I'm not impressed with you not being impressed.

An 18 year old has just as much of a right to protect himself, his family, and his home as a 21 year old. We are in this society where we allow 25 year olds to stay on Mommy and Daddy's insurance. I was in the Army at 18, married at 20, and a fully functioning adult.

As long as I have no reason to believe a person is prohibited by law or I just don't like him, he can buy a gun from me.

If a guy has his pants hanging off his rear I'm not selling him anything, I don't care if he's 19, 79, or any other number.

If I remember correctly, the first pistol I got was a model 28. I think I was around 16. Nobody has ever died from and no crime has ever been committed with that weapon.

Totally understand which Is why I said there will be exceptions but in general unless your combat arms you receive minimal training.
It depends on the unit. I was a Satellite guy and I've qualified with M-16, m-4, m203, m249 and m9. I've also been to the armorers course and was the unit armorer for 2 years.

Totally understand which Is why I said there will be exceptions but in general unless your combat arms you receive minimal training.

Agree, but I still think if you can give your life in defense of freedom, then you should be able to enjoy those freedoms. 18 is not a child, no matter how much mommy wants a baby forever. If they f up, hammer them, but otherwise treat them as adults.

had experience recently on armslist also, guy emailed about my PAP and wanted to buy,i sent him my #
he sounded young over the phone I asked how old are u?he said 19,but I can legally buy off an individual,and I said YES u can.
I told him to bring his GA ID so I could take a glance at it,and he said I don't have a GA ID ma'am
I said y not? he said I lost my DL when I dropped outta school and got some $$$ recently from my NANA and want a gun.
I said go get an education,get ur DL back then call me.

my son is the same age as him,active duty army.i would sell to 18 year old solider,but not to a drop out that has no id.

had experience recently on armslist also, guy emailed about my PAP and wanted to buy,i sent him my #
he sounded young over the phone I asked how old are u?he said 19,but I can legally buy off an individual,and I said YES u can.
I told him to bring his GA ID so I could take a glance at it,and he said I don't have a GA ID ma'am
I said y not? he said I lost my DL when I dropped outta school and got some $$$ recently from my NANA and want a gun.
I said go get an education,get ur DL back then call me.

my son is the same age as him,active duty army.i would sell to 18 year old solider,but not to a drop out that has no id.
:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom