• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kids under 19 buying pistols

Should people under 21 have their own pistols?

• Yes

Votes: 50 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Depends on if their life is in Danger

Votes: 5 7.7%

• Total voters

Tashin

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
111   0
Reaction score
So, I've been contacted a few times by a 19 year old on both ODT and Armslist wanting to buy one of the pistols I have for sale. While I know it is legal for someone under 21 to purchase a pistol from a private seller here in Georgia, I'm just not comfortable selling to them. Not to mention the issues to be had with ammo, though I'm pretty sure the whole straw-purchase thing doesn't apply there, and that most ranges will not allow them in with a pistol unless they have someone over 21 with them.

So what is everyone else's opinion on this matter? I'm all for people having a defensive weapon, but there is just something that puts me off about it, especially since the pistol is a full size model that doesn't really lend itself well to carry. I don't think I'd go as far to post on his WTB threads saying he is under 21 because he has been forth coming with that information when asked. What does everything else think?

My 16-year-old has been shooting since age 5. I trust him implicitly, however, I realize he is an exception. Like karlvv30, I believe a person should be allowed to enjoy the rights he is old enough to protect.

Reactions: LMK
I've owned over 15 pistols and I've gotten them all from traders on the odt. I'm over 21 now, but even at 18-20 I was a very responsible young gun owner. So I day it just varies from one to another.

I had a couple handguns before I turned 21, but I wasn't stupid with them, I kept them in the house, and didn't illegally carry them. So I believe it all depends on if you feel comfortable with them having it. Heck there are some people over 21 I would trust with a cap pistol let alone with a real one...

I think they should be able to have them but should get them from a trusted parent or guardian that knows more about them as an individual.

Some rando from the internet doesn't know enough about an 18 year old they have never met to know if he can handle it safely and is not bat **** insane and use it on someone.

Just my .02

If I can join the Army or be a cop under the age of 21 and carry a pistol there is no reason I shouldn't be able to as a civilian.

#younglivesmatter.
I don't think you can be a cop or deputy under 21. Could be wrong but I don't think so. Otherwise, I get your point. And now I know what to tell my 19 year old daughter who has no job and is currently making a worn out spot on my couch.:cool:

Yeah I agree with pretty much most of everything here. I feel for the guy, I really do, but since I don't know him at all I don't think I could sell him one in good conscience. That's really the only thing that is stopping me.

Back
Top Bottom