• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kayak Fishing Thread

I’m thinking About putting a fish finder on my vibe seaghost 130. Who else has a finder on theirs? Can you show me a pic of your set up and recommend a good one ?
I decided last year that I needed to get a fish finder for my kayaks so I could be on the lookout for the drop-offs and deeper holes in among all the creeks and cuts around the flats and backwaters in range of our canal house in Flagler Beach. Originally didn’t think I would ever want one in the yak because it’s all so shallow around there, but then that’s why I decided I needed one... Finding the differences below the surface should help identify more potential holding spots beyond the ones I can see. In my case though my initial instinct that I didn’t need one was correct... I rarely use on either yak because it’s all shallow and pretty much the same depth with nothing to find/see...
Thought about buying another transducer for my Simrad GO7 unit, but it’s not only a lot bigger than I wanted on the yak, just the transducer would cost more than a new cheapie unit. (It is great on my boat and has all the great features and will display detailed satellite/areal maps, etc. The aggravating thing about this is that the new Garmin Striker 4 that I got on sale for $99 is the same one I sold last year for $40... It came on the used boat I bought and was replaced with the new fancy Simrad. Didn’t know why I would ever want the other one so practically gave it away.
pics below are of the Garmin Striker on my Jackson Coosa FD. I used Duct Seal to mount the transducer for shoot-through hull operation in it. I found no difference in sensitivity or detail with imaging that way vs. hanging in water. When I use it on my Hobie Outback the transducer is installed in the dedicated retractable mount. I had looked online at the various purpose-built lithium ion 12v battery packs for yak electronics, as well as the small 12v AGM. Then I had a thought about all my spare small 12v easily-charged power tool batteries. Seems like they would be the perfect size for a small fish finder and it’s one less thing to buy. Installed some connectors that will work with these batteries or a traditional small AGM. I get about 4 hours per battery, but I don’t use that much anyway.
Mounted a little food storage container to keep the battery and connections dry. Wires and fish finder are easily removed from the gear track with thumb-screws. Printed a little custom wire clip and base plate with my printer.
957574D6-F93A-479D-A7AE-C4522C2043E9.jpeg
F1A7C351-EB6A-4E49-B808-9E4A3926EBC8.jpeg
98E2A48A-22F2-4E41-B54F-D94252293454.jpeg
519FF830-2D39-439E-AB2E-74454D0352B2.jpeg
5A553A06-0773-4314-9D2B-EFB9ABE93E96.jpeg

Attachments

• 7FBE3956-D9AC-4A60-B657-D5E314CD3ED8.jpeg
    7FBE3956-D9AC-4A60-B657-D5E314CD3ED8.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 9
Living in Hawaii I’d love one that I could go out on the ocean and troll for some fish, mahi mahi, sail fin or even a med size ahi or tuna as it’s know on the mainland.
2 problems tho first I’m broke and that set up can run $14-18K
And second it’s easier for me to buy fish - mostly cause I’m reallllllllllllllly lazy now days
Keep Healthy and share the Aloha

Living in Hawaii I’d love one that I could go out on the ocean and troll for some fish, mahi mahi, sail fin or even a med size ahi or tuna as it’s know on the mainland.
2 problems tho first I’m broke and that set up can run $14-18K
And second it’s easier for me to buy fish - mostly cause I’m reallllllllllllllly lazy now days
Keep Healthy and share the Aloha

I'm not lazy about fishing, I just hate cleaning fish!

I had looked online at the various purpose-built lithium ion 12v battery packs for yak electronics, as well as the small 12v AGM. Then I had a thought about all my spare small 12v easily-charged power tool batteries. Seems like they would be the perfect size for a small fish finder and it’s one less thing to buy. Installed some connectors that will work with these batteries or a traditional small AGM. I get about 4 hours per battery, but I don’t use that much anyway.

can you show more on these?

lithium ion 12v battery packs.
what are you using now?
Oh. Those are just Bosch 12v powertool batteries that power my drill, oscillating tool, flashlight, etc. I’ve got a bunch of them down there and I found that with the little cheap fishfinder they get me about 4 hours of use. They are so small and light I can carry another as a spare if I think I’ll be using it a lot. The 12v Milwaukee batteries I have up here look like they would work just as well with the same connectors.
I figured we not put those batteries into dual service instead of buying another specifically for the yak electronics.

Oh. Those are just Bosch 12v powertool batteries that power my drill, oscillating tool, flashlight, etc. I’ve got a bunch of them down there and I found that with the little cheap fishfinder they get me about 4 hours of use. They are so small and light I can carry another as a spare if I think I’ll be using it a lot. The 12v Milwaukee batteries I have up here look like they would work just as well with the same connectors.
I figured we not put those batteries into dual service instead of buying another specifically for the yak electronics.

i use the batteries that are used in "EXIT" signs like you see in buildings.
i can get several trips in one charge. they work great.

Back
Top Bottom