• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kayak Fishing Thread

Has anyone floated the Bonafide RS117? I am thinking about upgrading my current fishing kayak to one of those.
I haven’t tried one out but did look at one in passing a while back. Looked like a quality kayak and compared well with other similar priced yaks. I’ve had a few kayaks, and tried a bunch over the past couple years. To me it’s come down to the drive system, layout, and seat. For a similar sized kayaks in the same width they all seem to move and have similar stability for standing, etc. I have to have a pedal drive for the style fishing I do, and the type and how it functions makes the biggest difference for me. Next in importance to me is the seat, height, adjustability, comfort, etc. The layout and storage options are important but you can work around and come up with solutions to most of that. Think about where your rods go, what you carry for tackle storage and where that fits, how difficult or easy it is to access, where does the net go, cooler, etc. Does open storage space or enclosed hatches work best for you, etc.

I am probably a minimalist when it comes to kayak fishing. I live on the Etowah so I usually float that every weekend from March til October.

I have had a Lifetime Weber 132 for the past 5 years and it has worked great. I just wanted to look for something I could stand in and have a bit more room for overnight camping trips.

I usually bring one medium baitcaster, one medium-heavy spinning reel, and sometimes an ultra light for rooster tails and worms on a bobber. My tackle box is about 9" x 5" x 6" tall. I load stuff in there depending on what I am fishing for the day. Then I also bring a 30-can Magellan soft cooler.

I have not come to a decision yet, I need to demo some kayaks probably. Thank you for the post MAK.

3E4E22E3-0E4D-4216-B8B0-AA07FF544E20.jpeg
I guess this is a baby blacktip shark. Burnt mill creek PCB

I picked up the 10’ (10’ 6”) version of this today - excellent online reviews for its price-point.

I live too close to Lanier and excellent fishing spots not to be on the water regularly.

I’ve given up golf except for special tournaments- have the best looking yard in neighborhood- tired of yard work...time to fish.

Off topic, but relevant I think - I’d like to see pictures of storage ideas- wall mount, ceiling....

Ease of storage is one of the reasons I did not go with a Jon boat -

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up the 10’ (10’ 6”) version of this today - excellent online reviews for its price-point.

I live too close to Lanier and excellent fishing spots not to be on the water regularly.

I’ve given up golf except for special tournaments- have the best looking yard in neighborhood- tired of yard work...time to fish.

Off topic, but relevant I think - I’d like to see pictures of storage ideas- wall mount, ceiling....

Ease of storage is one of the reasons I did not go with a Jon boat -

Thanks
Congrats. Anxious to hear your reviews. :fish2:
I just built a simple rack underneath my 2nd floor deck to hang mind. Built it out of PT and wrapped in outdoor carpet. Works like a charm, out of the way and easy access. That portion of my deck is also covered so it's out of any direct weather.

Went out yesterday (Lathem Reservoir) - first time in a kayak - didn't go prepared to fish, just get acclimated - stayed out for a few hours.
For a novice, it was surprisingly easy to learn some basic paddle maneuvers - the boat was easy to keep on line (track), turned easily and feels very stable in the water.
The Prescador Pro 100 looks and feels like a quality build and is designed well for my use. I'll be adding a fish finder and a few more accessories, I'm certain.
I can see how this might become a passion - it's an easy trip to prepare for, hassle free launch, and it's amazing being so close to the water - enhances the entire experience.
I have space under my deck as well but we had an under deck system installed a few years ago so that we can use this space for leisure - otherwise, the space would be perfect for this.
I'm likely to build a pulley type of system to pull it up to the garage ceiling - if I do it right, I should be able to lower/lift it directly into the back of my truck.

Went out yesterday (Lathem Reservoir) - first time in a kayak - didn't go prepared to fish, just get acclimated - stayed out for a few hours.
For a novice, it was surprisingly easy to learn some basic paddle maneuvers - the boat was easy to keep on line (track), turned easily and feels very stable in the water.
The Prescador Pro 100 looks and feels like a quality build and is designed well for my use. I'll be adding a fish finder and a few more accessories, I'm certain.
I can see how this might become a passion - it's an easy trip to prepare for, hassle free launch, and it's amazing being so close to the water - enhances the entire experience.
I have space under my deck as well but we had an under deck system installed a few years ago so that we can use this space for leisure - otherwise, the space would be perfect for this.
I'm likely to build a pulley type of system to pull it up to the garage ceiling - if I do it right, I should be able to lower/lift it directly into the back of my truck.
Most important skill. Sit on top and sit inside.

Borrowed a kayak this weekend. Was a 10.4' boat that has not been taken out since last year when it sank and hand recovered out of 6 ft of chattahoochee water. I didnt think anything of it. Thought the person that sank it was drinking too much and did something dumb to have sank it because they are fairly experienced on rougher water.

Was I in for a treat.
If you are in a sit -inside, and it fills up with water- you gotta move quickly and planning 3 steps ahead. Getting on top for a ride is not an option. More than likely all of your **** will float out. Grab only lifejacket. Recover your stuff later and focus on the boat and if possible your paddle

I had noticed when I had gotten in the water that this particular kayak sat extremely low where the back of the seat was and the water was very close but didnt think anything of it. Sent it!
I was coming up on some very calm sloping. I bumped a rock on my right in attempt to turn my rig left And check for my group. The second I hit the rock and leaned left water came in the low spot and pinned against the rock and took on water. (Low current)I did what I know to do, abandon and pull to side to get water out. (In any other sit inside rig I have used I did this the boat would turn upright and water would flatten in bottom, you could then possibly get back in and ride to safety-- not this one.) When I got out it continued to go down and essentially "scoop" the water in as it balanced out. At this point I'm in about 5-6 foot of water, trying to get my stuff to my friends confused as in how the hell my boat was sank and this was happening again. I guided the fully submerged rig about 30 yards forward to the biggest rock I could find. No way I could have went to bank.
This rock was about 2'x3' pointing out of the water. I got the boat sideways and fighting the current pinned against the rock and had to lift about 6 inches up out of the water on my knee and proceed to gain leverage on the bottom of the full boat trying to get it to til to pour out as much water as I could and attempt to float to a safe spot. It took everything I had to get it to tilt and I'm still not sure how I got it. But I did. Got it down river and drained it but I thought it was for sure gonna get left.

If you're looking at a sit inside, head my advice. Do not buy any 10.4' rigs.
The seats are way too close to the water and will sink leaving you in a tight spot.
I have a 10' and a 12' same brand as the 10.4 I borrowed and absolutely love them. But the 10.4' are dangerous.

I caught 2 decent bass and a my buddy caught a very nice rainbow that we kept.

If yall see my colster in the hooch pm me. Gone but not forgotten.

Back
Top Bottom