• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I got my form 1 approved for SBR in just 33 days

although on my form 1s the box that you put what you are going to engrave were left blank so according to my form 1 I am not engraving anything.

From your link.

I read that same part and took it as I don't have to. It says manufacture, importer OR maker. Not and maker. On my lower the manufacturer has identified it with their rollmark the serial number and city, state. That would satisfy the requirements for the ATF identify that lower receiver.

Now if it was an 80% lower that I finished myself it wouldn't have the identifiers on it. Then, as the maker, since there is no manufacturer or importer,I would have to engrave.

Last edited:
I read that same part and took it as I don't have to. It says manufacture, importer OR maker. Not and maker. On my lower the manufacturer has identified it with their Walmart the serial number and city, state. That would satisfy the requirements for the ATF identify that lower receiver.

Now if it was an 80% lower that I finished myself it wouldn't have the identifiers on it. Then, as the maker, since there is no manufacturer or importer,I would have to engrave.

It is not OR as in either or. It is OR as in if you are the manufacturer, importer or the maker you must do such and such.

I've seen (and bought on form 4) at least one SBR that wasn't engraved. On the original Form 1 the "maker" simply put the manufacturers original information that was already on the receiver. It was approved.

And to be clear the "requirement" to engrave is part of the CFR. It's regulatory so if you don't do it and it becomes an issue you'll get fined, not thrown in jail.

I've seen (and bought on form 4) at least one SBR that wasn't engraved. On the original Form 1 the "maker" simply put the manufacturers original information that was already on the receiver. It was approved.

And to be clear the "requirement" to engrave is part of the CFR. It's regulatory so if you don't do it and it becomes an issue you'll get fined, not thrown in jail.

In my mind I clearly stated I wasn't going to engrave when I left box 4h blank. Every one of my form 1s look like this.

[Broken External Image]:

As I said, I chose to finally engrave because I actually like having the engraving on the lower to immediately identify it as a NFA lower. Not because I was convinced I legally had to.

Mine are just the same.
In my mind I clearly stated I wasn't going to engrave when I left box 4h blank. Every one of my form 1s look like this.

[Broken External Image]:

As I said, I chose to finally engrave because I actually like having the engraving on the lower to immediately identify it as a NFA lower. Not because I was convinced I legally had to.

[Broken External Image]:

I'm completely with you on this one. If they approved it as a big blank then if you're ever asked to show an ATF Agent the engraving show him a big blank spot on the receiver and say, "look, perfect match. Did it myself and everything".

I'm completely with you on this one. If they approved it as a big blank then if you're ever asked to show an ATF Agent the engraving show him a big blank spot on the receiver and say, "look, perfect match. Did it myself and everything".
Has anyone "Asked the expert" to get a official answer?

NM, I'm bored I'll ask

"The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) authorizes licensed manufacturers and licensed importers of firearms, and makers of National Firearms Act (NFA) firearms, to adopt the serial number, caliber/gauge, and/or model already identified on a firearm without seeking a marking variance, provided all of the conditions in this ruling are met."

The way I read that is you can just use what's already on the receiver without any further engraving. The point of the whole thing is to be able to track the weapon if the need should ever arise. That will be done by the original serial number and the name of the manufacturer of the receiver, not by the name of your trust.

By that I mean no one is going to run a NCIC search for "Joe Bob Revocable Living Trust"; they'll search for Palmetto State Armory, serial number 7779311. Going by that logic, I think you're ok if you don't engrave you trust name.

But I am with NWS, done right, it looks cool.

I re-read the link I posted and I still think they are saying I do not have to engrave my info on the gun. It has already been engraved by the manufacturer with all the required info and I have adopted that info on my form 1 identifying the receiver.

Back
Top Bottom