• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How useful are the caliber conversion inserts?

Wheeler

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
132   0
Reaction score
I recently acquired a TC Contender with a 10” .223 barrel. Since .223 is unobtanium without putting the mortgage payment at risk, I bought a .22 LR barrel from another member. That will help out with inexpensive plinking during the current drought.

As I was looking for other accessories online I came across caliber conversion inserts for use in the .223 barrel that would accept .22 WMR. These look like a .223 cartridge case with a chamber cut in the back to accept the appropriate rimfire cartridge. The inside is similar to a chamber on a revolver cylinder.

I did a bit of research on the twist rates and it seems the OEM Contender .223 barrels had a 1 in 12 twist rate. That seems to be a little fast to stabilize the heavier .22 WMR bullets but might work ok with the lighter 40 grain stuff.

Has anyone played around with any of the caliber conversion adapters? If so was it worth $40?

I know the correct answer is to buy a .22 Mag barrel but, since I see these adapters crop up fairly regularly it piqued my curiosity.

A 1 in 12 barrel is very slow it will work great with a .40gr projectile.

You have a 10" barrel with that twist rate the rifling doesn't even make one full revolution.....

Does making a full revolution matter in regards to bullet stabilization and accuracy?

Well in a 10" 1 in 12 nothing will stabilize great. Your best bet is low bullet weight low velocity.

But to answer your question twist rate and barrel length matter alot with stability of a bullet.

Back
Top Bottom