House to house searches

Surprising amount of statist mentality this morning.

I'm all for government (least amount of influence, of course) but will not support a corrupt government.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm all for government (least amount of influence, of course) but will not support a corrupt government. After that happens, you have to go against the grain.

There is no such thing as a "consented to illegal search" FYI... the consent makes it legal ;).

Correct, I misspoke.

Willfully threw their rights out the window because they were distracted by shiny badges and scary guns.

So do I. And I hope no one dies, or is wrongly imprisoned because they consented to an illegal search.

Against my better judgment, I have to ask. How do you consent to an illegal search? Consent, by its very definition, must be given freely and without coercion. A search conducted based on lawful consent, is not illegal.

Also, just to throw some more fuel on the fire, the courts have recognized "exigent circumstances" as exceptions to the warrant requirement. So, there's that.

EDIT: Dang it. I was typing this as it was being addressed already.

Declining a search and rolling a camera are about the best things I can think to do.

My dog is an asshole and barks at anyone strange to her. There are hundreds of stories about the family dog being shot by law enforcement and I would be a very unhappy camper if she were injured.

Against my better judgment, I have to ask. How do you consent to an illegal search? Consent, by its very definition, must be given freely and without coercion. A search conducted based on lawful consent, is not illegal.

Also, just to throw some more fuel on the fire, the courts have recognized "exigent circumstances" as exceptions to the warrant requirement. So, there's that.

EDIT: Dang it. I was typing this as it was being addressed already.

I corrected myself.

Last edited:
Correct, I misspoke.

Willfully threw their rights out the window because they were distracted by shiny badges and scary guns.

Willfully decided not to exercise a right at a given time in a given situation because they felt exercising that right at the time might not be the best course of action for themselves and society you mean? :p

Declining a search and rolling a camera are about the best things I can think to do.

My dog is an asshole and barks at anyone strange to her. There are hundreds of stories about the family dog being shot by law enforcement and I would be a very unhappy camper if she were injured.

That would be your best bet. I would feel bad if anyone's dog was shot, because it was trying to protect its owner, or just being a dog and barking/howling. You have some bad LEOs, not denying that.

Willfully decided not to exercise a right at a given time in a given situation because they felt exercising that right at the time might not be the best course of action for themselves and society you mean? :p

Maybe for some folks, but there is more to lose than there is to gain for an innocent private citizen to consent to a search of their home.

Back
Top Bottom