• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

High-end coolers?

Yeah I picked up the Tundra 45 today, not that I think it's better than any of the other but I could walk into the store and pick it up and leave. The Pelican's dimensions online say that its A LOT taller (almost double) of the yeti I bought so fitting it in the trunk of the car wasn't going to happen. So if I decide to get a 65+ quart cooler I'll probably look into Pelican as it will be for a different purpose and this one was for multi purpose including going to the beach in a couple of months and the a cooler much bigger than this would have taken up to much luggage room. I'm taking it to the lake this weekend and hope it's going to work well. I didn't have time to pre-chill it so I'm sure it won't be a great as it should but I'll let yall know. It holds 30 cans of beer and a 20 pound bag of ice (could hold between 5-7 more pounds to fill it completely) without the basket in it. As I said I'll post how ice retention is without being bias toward it. And whom so ever has a competitors cooler I'd like to hear cause I will be getting a larger cool to dedicate to camping only.

Last edited:
Someone 'splain this to me... Why? Why would I spend that much on a cooler? Really dont get it????

My reasoning is that I bought a 12v cooler (40 Qt) keeps for as long as I have power. No need for ice. Truck, boat, trailer
all have 12 v and if not I fire up the gennie.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-40-Co...1406325243&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=12v+cooler
cause when I'm camping, at the lake, on the boat, on the beach, etc I don't always have a plug in. And if I was gonna buy a generator to operate a cooler it would seem a lot more logical to buy ice and a huge end cooler than pay that or much more for a and feed it gas daily.

Same reason people buy rolex watches when a Casio does just as we'll or a Ted yost when a colt does the same job

And I bet you carry a hipont as your edc weapon. But the cooler if it holds ice longer as its advertised I would have to drive down the mountain to the first gas station that wishes to rip me off for a 20 bag of ice and waste $8 in gas back and forth daily (assuming I can find a store within 12 miles from my camping spot). Plus I get more time with my family around the fire rather than chasing ice.

I cant justify a cooler at that price. I've never had to connect it to a generator. Boat has a cig lighter as well as the camper and truck. Never buy ice. Is it something proprietary that keeps the ice so long? Special insulation?

cause when I'm camping, at the lake, on the boat, on the beach, etc I don't always have a plug in. And if I was gonna buy a generator to operate a cooler it would seem a lot more logical to buy ice and a huge end cooler than pay that or much more for a and feed it gas daily.

And I bet you carry a hipont as your edc weapon. But the cooler if it holds ice longer as its advertised I would have to drive down the mountain to the first gas station that wishes to rip me off for a 20 bag of ice and waste $8 in gas back and forth daily (assuming I can find a store within 12 miles from my camping spot). Plus I get more time with my family around the fire rather than chasing ice.
Nope I carry a g19 wear a sub and have a yeti!

I cant justify a cooler at that price. I've never had to connect it to a generator. Boat has a cig lighter as well as the camper and truck. Never buy ice. Is it something proprietary that keeps the ice so long? Special insulation?

As an old trucker, I wore out several 12v coolers, but I don't use one now for fear of killing the battery in my pickup. I don't trust it to tay plugged up around the clock and only have the truck running 1.5hrs a day. Also they can only cool on average 40 degs below the ambient temp, which in my case would be 90°+/- leaving the contents at 50°if I'm lucky. My boss' yetti keeps ice for 5+ day sitting in the sun/heat with us opening it 6-8 times a day.

Nope I carry a g19 wear a sub and have a yeti!
My apologies, I though you were indicating a Coleman/igloo would be the same as. As a status report Friday night we drank beer all day, Saturday morning it was refilled and drank from all day, today was filled again and used for beer and lunch and still has half it's ice left. And it set out side both days on the boat. I'll keep watching to see when the ice is gone.

Back
Top Bottom