• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Got a speeding ticket in the mail. Pay it or fight it?

If you truly believe that a private company has any authority in regards to these camera tickets I gotta bridge for sale
Not necessarily true. They may well be acting as an agent for local government and it's the government that will take action.

Don't forget who get's a slice of the pie. If they could just be ignored without any repercussion the word would be out and no one would pay.

What information exactly is it you send them? What law or laws are broken for this to be illegal?

I basically send them:

"A tax is paid for the use of the government's property, while a toll is paid for the use of another's property. A tax may be imposed by the government only, while the toll is enforced by the government or a private individual or entity.

As I-85 runs from Alabama to Virginia, it is a Federally owned (taxpayer funded) road. Therefore I already pay taxes for the roads and a toll is not legal on this roadway. The 'Peach Pass Lane' is a toll program. If this is wrong, please provide the documentation showing that I-85 is in fact privately owned."

^^ I have yet to receive any correspondence back and nothing has happened to my license or registration.

The Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956 included I-85, 285, and 20. They are all funded by taxpayer dollars and maintained by State government. Of the 4.1 million miles of road in the U.S., almost 97 percent are under the jurisdiction of state and local governments.

A tax is based on law, but a debt is based on contract. Citations are an issuance of debt, not tax. You can't be arrested for debts, but can be arrested for taxes. Since I didn't agreed to a contract with any camera companies, I refuse to pay. For the state to suspend my registration (which I paid for) over a debt to a private company, is to say my local government works for a private company's interest and not the interest of the people who elected them. I find that to be a conflict of interest. Furthermore, I don't see how my state can cancel my registration over a citation from a company in another state. What legal right does a private company in another state have to issue traffic citations for the use of public roads in separate state? Doesn't make sense.

Not necessarily true. They may well be acting as an agent for local government and it's the government that will take action.

Don't forget who get's a slice of the pie. If they could just be ignored without any repercussion the word would be out and no one would pay.

Private entities cannot impose state taxes on government owned roads. And tolls on govt roads are illegal. Private companies can only enforce tolls on privately owned roads.

I get those stupid camera tickets all the time. I send a letter saying I wasnt driving, and I let a friend or relative borrow my truck that day. Can’t remember who. They don’t harass me after that. I just renewed my license plate and tags so they didn’t put a hold on anything.

Private entities cannot impose state taxes on government owned roads. And tolls on govt roads are illegal. Private companies can only enforce tolls on privately owned roads.
Sounds reasonable. We can extrapolate that to only government can impose fines for breaking laws, (we're not talking tax or toll), so it'll be the county coming after you.

I basically send them:

"A tax is paid for the use of the government's property, while a toll is paid for the use of another's property. A tax may be imposed by the government only, while the toll is enforced by the government or a private individual or entity.

As I-85 runs from Alabama to Virginia, it is a Federally owned (taxpayer funded) road. Therefore I already pay taxes for the roads and a toll is not legal on this roadway. The 'Peach Pass Lane' is a toll program. If this is wrong, please provide the documentation showing that I-85 is in fact privately owned."

^^ I have yet to receive any correspondence back and nothing has happened to my license or registration.

The Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956 included I-85, 285, and 20. They are all funded by taxpayer dollars and maintained by State government. Of the 4.1 million miles of road in the U.S., almost 97 percent are under the jurisdiction of state and local governments.

A tax is based on law, but a debt is based on contract. Citations are an issuance of debt, not tax. You can't be arrested for debts, but can be arrested for taxes. Since I didn't agreed to a contract with any camera companies, I refuse to pay. For the state to suspend my registration (which I paid for) over a debt to a private company, is to say my local government works for a private company's interest and not the interest of the people who elected them. I find that to be a conflict of interest. Furthermore, I don't see how my state can cancel my registration over a citation from a company in another state. What legal right does a private company in another state have to issue traffic citations for the use of public roads in separate state? Doesn't make sense.
So which law was broken?

Toll roads have been around for a long time. 400 was a toll road. Part of I26 is a toll road. Part of I64 was a toll road at one time, might still be. I4 is a toll road.

Furthermore, The Georgia Department of Public Safety monitors and issues citations for the HOT lane violations as well. Seems like someone has figured out that it is in fact legal for the state to charge to use these lanes. They will charge you court costs and assess points on your license. So again I ask, which law or laws are being broken by the state?

So which law was broken?

Toll roads have been around for a long time. 400 was a toll road. Part of I26 is a toll road. Part of I64 was a toll road at one time, might still be. I4 is a toll road.

Furthermore, The Georgia Department of Public Safety monitors and issues citations for the HOT lane violations as well. Seems like someone has figured out that it is in fact legal for the state to charge to use these lanes. They will charge you court costs and assess points on your license. So again I ask, which law or laws are being broken by the state?

As I said, that is what I have sent them and no action has been taken by them in over 9 years of me doing so. It's up to them to prove they in fact have the legal right to do so. They haven't and I haven't been fined or taken to court. so the legality of their actions are very questionable. Yes, toll roads have been around, but look up 400, I-26, and I-4. Those tolls were because those sections of road ran through private land. Tolls usually stay active until the contract with the landowner is paid in full, the land defaults, or the state/ county buys the land. I-85 is not one of the roads subject to that.

My point is privately owned roads are subject to tolls because that's how those roads are maintained. Govt owned roads are maintained by taxpayer money. So to have to pay taxes and then pay a fee to use the same road, seems very criminal. I could understand if that money was used to maintain the roads and GA taxpayer money wasn't used, but that's not the case. I'm sure you all remember when this "Peach Pass" was created. So for the roads to have previously been free and then suddenly there's a fee, again brings up questions. Govt's bank on citizens not knowing laws, not caring, and/or not challenging their actions. That's how they get away with screwing us over. I'm a firm believer in "show me proof". If they can't prove they have legal grounds to charge me to use a road my taxes already pay for, then I'm not paying it.

As I said, that is what I have sent them and no action has been taken by them in over 9 years of me doing so. It's up to them to prove they in fact have the legal right to do so. They haven't and I haven't been fined or taken to court. so the legality of their actions are very questionable. Yes, toll roads have been around, but look up 400, I-26, and I-4. Those tolls were because those sections of road ran through private land. Tolls usually stay active until the contract with the landowner is paid in full, the land defaults, or the state/ county buys the land. I-85 is not one of the roads subject to that.

My point is privately owned roads are subject to tolls because that's how those roads are maintained. Govt owned roads are maintained by taxpayer money. So to have to pay taxes and then pay a fee to use the same road, seems very criminal. I could understand if that money was used to maintain the roads and GA taxpayer money wasn't used, but that's not the case. I'm sure you all remember when this "Peach Pass" was created. So for the roads to have previously been free and then suddenly there's a fee, again brings up questions. Govt's bank on citizens not knowing laws, not caring, and/or not challenging their actions. That's how they get away with screwing us over. I'm a firm believer in "show me proof". If they can't prove they have legal grounds to charge me to use a road my taxes already pay for, then I'm not paying it.
I’m not arguing your actions, I’m asking you to tell me which law or laws the state has broken. You keep saying it’s illegal, that means a law has been broken. What law has been broken?

Back
Top Bottom