• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gas question...

Running a few tanks of E85 won't hurt anything. It's prolonged use and extended storage is were the problem begins. It turns bad in a matter of weeks. It also congeals if left in a carbureted system and hoses not meant to handel that fuel will break down quickly. For power it's great since it's basically alcohol and that makes power. If it is run in fuel systems not made for it extra care has to be taken to remove as much of the fuel as possible then just go back to reg unleaded non- ethanol fuel. Only if it is the only option you have to get to your destination.
I agree with most all of what you say about the possible harm caused by short usage but I do take issue with your 'power' statement. It is categorically less fuel efficient by volume than gasoline. Even the government admits this.

It's is less efficient. But does make more power. The less effecient parts is it takes more parts fuel to air ratio to run safely. This is addressed in alcohol engine by carburator modifications. Ideal air to fuel is 14.1 parts air 1 parts fuel. In a straight alcohol engine it more like 10 parts air to 1 part fuel. So you are exactly right for gas milage it is far less efficient.

No problem with ethanol free gas, I use it exclusively in my bike, but won't pay the extra cost for it in my truck.

I run E85 in my Flexfuel F150 when towing as E85 actually produces more horsepower/torque than regular gas although the trade off is mileage. My truck has a 36 gallon tank, so it is a good trade off trading the MPG for the power when towing.

It's is less efficient. But does make more power. The less effecient parts is it takes more parts fuel to air ratio to run safely. This is addressed in alcohol engine by carburator modifications. Ideal air to fuel is 14.1 parts air 1 parts fuel. In a straight alcohol engine it more like 10 parts air to 1 part fuel. So you are exactly right for gas milage it is far less efficient.

It might even be more fuel to air in alky engines. I forget it's been so long sinhce I've messed with a alcohol engine.
IMO, there's nothing wrong with it in an engine built to deal with corrosion and moisture potential with ethanol. Some like the power vs. mileage efficiency effect and that's okay. All I know is that I have to use gas to run my 2 and 4 cycle yard engines and after decades of dealing with it, don't want any part of ethanol and its affect on the flimsy gaskets in 2 cycles, miniature jets etc. in the carburetor, etc. let alone classic gumming problems. It got so bad it was just cheaper to buy a complete new Walbro carburetor off Amazon than spend the time cleaning out the gunk and replacing the film gaskets. So I just don't use it in any engine or vehicle I own if I can help it.

IMO, there's nothing wrong with it in an engine built to deal with corrosion and moisture potential with ethanol. Some like the power vs. mileage efficiency effect and that's okay. All I know is that I have to use gas to run my 2 and 4 cycle yard engines and after decades of dealing with it, don't want any part of ethanol and its affect on the flimsy gaskets in 2 cycles, miniature jets etc. in the carburetor, etc. let alone classic gumming problems. It got so bad it was just cheaper to buy a complete new Walbro carburetor off Amazon than spend the time cleaning out the gunk and replacing the film gaskets. So I just don't use it in any engine or vehicle I own if I can help it.

I am with you there, although I have now ditched all my my small engines with electric. Looking at the new all electric zero turns now and depending on how big my new yard ends up being I may pull the trigger. I hate small engines more than I hate ethanol.

Coming from a mechanic 20 years today

absolutely and use it more then regular unleaded
Not only will your vehicle thank you , but you savings accounts will too in the future

if you don’t you will see me soon from carbon build up and will not like the cost to fix it

I am with you there, although I have now ditched all my my small engines with electric. Looking at the new all electric zero turns now and depending on how big my new yard ends up being I may pull the trigger. I hate small engines more than I hate ethanol.
I'd consider electric if I could get a rider mower 42" that could do my whole sloped yard and the batteries were all Lithium-Ion rechargeable.....:0)

Back
Top Bottom