• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gas question...

Of course it is safe to run 100% gasoline in a gasoline vehicle. Your truck being flex fuel only means that it can run on e85 or any blend of gasoline and ethanol up to e85. Your trucks computer compensates for the amount of ethanol in the fuel and adjusts its operating parameters accordingly. Unless you are trying to squeeze every ounce of power out of a purposefully tuned engine then do not run e85 unless you have no other choice. The cost difference is marginal and you will get fewer mpg with the increase in ethanol percentage.

Of course it is safe to run 100% gasoline in a gasoline vehicle. Your truck being flex fuel only means that it can run on e85 or any blend of gasoline and ethanol up to e85. Your trucks computer compensates for the amount of ethanol in the fuel and adjusts its operating parameters accordingly. Unless you are trying to squeeze every ounce of power out of a purposefully tuned engine then do not run e85 unless you have no other choice. The cost difference is marginal and you will get fewer mpg with the increase in ethanol percentage.
Besides, computer 'tuning' parameters, I think those EXX vehicles also have gaskets, seals and other parts that are less susceptible to corrosion, water presence (as with that which collects in E gas). Regardless, there is about an estimated less mileage efficiency of 3-4%.....

You can buy gasoline additive for older cars so the valves will get lubricating. It's a lead substitute which just additive to lubricate the soft valve seats. Buy a couple of cans of that and just run E85 for the trip and run all of it out before the truck sits for any length of time. I went out this morning and got gas and passed s few other gas station that had the pumps open. I really don't think it will be a big issue.

What possible reason could burning 100% gas be worse than burning 85% gas? :confused:
That's a serious question, I have no idea how those engines are designed.
It seems the e85 fad is waning. Lawd I hope so.
Running any of today's gas in pre 1973 cars will beat the hell out of the valves. The lead in the gas was used to lubricate the valves. Most older cars and trucks have been upgraded with hardened valve seats if it has been rebuilt. If it's original unleaded gas causes nthe valved to stick to the valve seats and eventually will loose compression and damage the valvetrain. You have to use fuel additive if the engine is original pre 1973-1974 model.

Running any of today's gas in pre 1973 cars will beat the hell out of the valves. The lead in the gas was used to lubricate the valves. Most older cars and trucks have been upgraded with hardened valve seats if it has been rebuilt. If it's original unleaded gas causes nthe valved to stick to the valve seats and eventually will loose compression and damage the valvetrain. You have to use fuel additive if the engine is original pre 1973-1974 model.
With respect, the question of lead or the lack thereof in E-gas or unleaded gas isn't the question. It's about how all the engine parts associated with the fuel train are made less susceptible to the harmful effects of moisture and corrosion caused by ethanol presence in the gas - essentially made hardened to its effects along with 'tuning' of computer controlled ignition parameters.

Running a few tanks of E85 won't hurt anything. It's prolonged use and extended storage is were the problem begins. It turns bad in a matter of weeks. It also congeals if left in a carbureted system and hoses not meant to handel that fuel will break down quickly. For power it's great since it's basically alcohol and that makes power. If it is run in fuel systems not made for it extra care has to be taken to remove as much of the fuel as possible then just go back to reg unleaded non- ethanol fuel. Only if it is the only option you have to get to your destination.

Back
Top Bottom