• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ga Vehicle tax

Gunsite Grad

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
362   0
Reaction score
What's the correct way to calculate GATAVT on used car? Dealer had it listed for $11,444. Got it down to $9,800 before fees. GATAVT was same with every offer sheet. If the tax is 7% they are using $12,600 as fair mkt value. The GA Dept of Revenue 2023 Assessment Manual has fair market of $10,450 based on VIN code. Dealer value vs DoR vs actual sale price is a couple of hundreddollarsdifference. I get the feeling they're trying to cover the negotiation difference by hiding it in the tax.

What's the correct way to calculate GATAVT on used car? Dealer had it listed for $11,444. Got it down to $9,800 before fees. GATAVT was same with every offer sheet. If the tax is 7% they are using $12,600 as fair mkt value. The GA Dept of Revenue 2023 Assessment Manual has fair market of $10,450 based on VIN code. Dealer value vs DoR vs actual sale price is a couple of hundreddollarsdifference. I get the feeling they're trying to cover the negotiation difference by hiding it in the tax.
Georgia will charge the tax based on their calculator, which provides "fair market value" regardless of purchase price. They do this to prevent every car sale transaction being documented as $1.

Use this to see if the dealer calculation is accurate:

Georgia TAVT calculator

call the tag office. they dont care what you pay, only what they think its worth. you can also go online.
i picked up a bike for 1500 bucks, they valued it a 5500.. i paid tax on 5500...

yea
but its a pain. my buddy did it on a road star warrior. he got the value knocked down a few thousand. the savings is usually not worth the time anymore. now you pay tax when you buy, then 20 bucks a year after. it was worth the argument when you paid every year...

the savings is usually not worth the time anymore.
That's how they hope people will feel. I figure if I spend an hour and saved $20, I paid myself $20 an hour to Google stuff basically and that's more than a lot of jobs pay. You work hard for your money and sometimes you have to work harder to keep it. I don't have $20 to throw away personally so it's worth it to me.

That's how they hope people will feel. I figure if I spend an hour and saved $20, I paid myself $20 an hour to Google stuff basically and that's more than a lot of jobs pay. You work hard for your money and sometimes you have to work harder to keep it. I don't have $20 to throw away personally so it's worth it to me.
i am at 90 an hour, my buddy works for delta and he makes 78 an hour. so in the long run, if its worth it, its worth it. anymore if you want to save 20 bucks, dont eat at Wendy's.. but i get what you are saying...

I wonder if the department of revenue's vehicle value calculator matches your insurance company's vehicle value calculator when you have a relatively minor accident and they are planning to total it.

Back
Top Bottom