Ford transmission question

Well, obviously its late and my brain isn't participating!
E40D (I think) in a 96 f150 4.9 inline 6 cyl.
Will no go into 1st or OD? Not manually or otherwise.
New "neutral " switch. the OD light doesn't come on or blink or flash and doesn't respond to being pressed.
No codes? OBDII failed to communication?
I sure love these fords but never had much luck with ford or mopour transmissions.

So the new MLPS made no change at all?
Are you sure the new switch is aligned properly?

So the new MLPS made no change at all?
Are you sure the new switch is aligned properly?
No change at all. Yes sir, I even have the ford installation and alignment tool. I did use it.
I can unplug the solenoid connector and don't get any codes. If you press the OD button on the shifter, nothing happens, no light or nothing.

No change at all. Yes sir, I even have the ford installation and alignment tool. I did use it.
I can unplug the solenoid connector and don't get any codes. If you press the OD button on the shifter, nothing happens, no light or nothing.

Not sure if your's has a tach, but tach sensor can cause the issue. There's one other sensor, but I need to look it up.

***EDIT - the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) can also be a factor. Also, if yours has a tach - is it working?

Not sure if your's has a tach, but tach sensor can cause the issue. There's one other sensor, but I need to look it up.

***EDIT - the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) can also be a factor. Also, if yours has a tach - is it working?
No tach.
I'll check the speed sensor and O2 sensors tomorrow or Monday. I'm not working anymore today and probably not tomorrow or Sunday.
I remember way back in the later 90s the o2 sensor will cause it also. To much to type but, the owner had another local shop working on it for a current draw, said shop told the customer it was the computer and sold him a "new" one. When leaving said shop, he noticed the transmission not going into 1st and not shifting into od. He took it straight back and they told him it was a faulty computer and said they replaced it again with no luck. The customer is 89 and his daughter who drives him anywhere he needs to go is 65ish. I say this to say I need it right in order to let it leave.
It's a rwd 300 straight 6 with 50080 actual miles.

No tach.
I'll check the speed sensor and O2 sensors tomorrow or Monday. I'm not working anymore today and probably not tomorrow or Sunday.
I remember way back in the later 90s the o2 sensor will cause it also. To much to type but, the owner had another local shop working on it for a current draw, said shop told the customer it was the computer and sold him a "new" one. When leaving said shop, he noticed the transmission not going into 1st and not shifting into od. He took it straight back and they told him it was a faulty computer and said they replaced it again with no luck. The customer is 89 and his daughter who drives him anywhere he needs to go is 65ish. I say this to say I need it right in order to let it leave.
It's a rwd 300 straight 6 with 50080 actual miles.
Based on that I'd check a few fuses, easily popped when replacing the computer. I think fuse #22 is one, and maybe one of the larger fuses. Even if it doesn't have a tach, the sensor is probably operating on the same circuit.

Based on that I'd check a few fuses, easily popped when replacing the computer. I think fuse #22 is one, and maybe one of the larger fuses. Even if it doesn't have a tach, the sensor is probably operating on the same circuit.

Thank you, I will check that Monday. Im still confused As to why it doesn't go into low when shifted in that position?

Thank you, I will check that Monday. Im still confused As to why it doesn't go into low when shifted in that position?
I'm just guessing, but I think one purpose of the tach and speed sensors may be to prevent shifting into the wrong gear at specific rpms/speeds to prevent damage. If the sensor goes bad it goes into a safe mode.

Let me know how it rides with those coils. I wouldnt mind having a little more capacity. Mine had Gabriel shocks on it and rode terrible. Swapped them out for Motorcrafts and it helped a lot.
Started cleaning today. I'm still working on the interior but it's looking good.

The drivers seat before and after: note that the seat cushion looked just like the seat back before I started.

20201024_221545.jpg

Back
Top Bottom