• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ford transmission question

Kyzrsoze

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
188   0
Reaction score
Anybody knowledgeable on Ford transmissions?

My question:

This week I've been working on a transmission swap. My car is a 2005 Crown Vic, and the transmission was removed from a 2005 Grand Marquis. Both are 4r70e. The tag on the original transmission indicates a 10/2004 production and the tag on the replacement transmission indicates 04/2004 production. The replacement has a larger torque converter. Assuming that both converters are in good condition, is it important that I use the larger or smaller?

Thanks for the quick responses. I have to work with my existing flex plate, so the decision is easy. This car is a 2005 LX and has the 4r70e electronic transmission. My understanding is that the police cars continued using the the 4r70W until 2011, but I'm not sure. Interesting though that this car also has the smaller converter. The car only has 100k miles on it and the original converter had no issues, so no issue there.

And you will most likely need the matching flexplate for the different bolt pattern.

harrycalahan harrycalahan nailed this one shut.

you can use the one for replacement but need matching flexplate

Also, if you havent already, measure your tailshaft housing length. It depends on the year/model but some got longer tailshaft housings/shorter driveshafts.

Back
Top Bottom