• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ford transmission question

No tach.
I'll check the speed sensor and O2 sensors tomorrow or Monday. I'm not working anymore today and probably not tomorrow or Sunday.
I remember way back in the later 90s the o2 sensor will cause it also. To much to type but, the owner had another local shop working on it for a current draw, said shop told the customer it was the computer and sold him a "new" one. When leaving said shop, he noticed the transmission not going into 1st and not shifting into od. He took it straight back and they told him it was a faulty computer and said they replaced it again with no luck. The customer is 89 and his daughter who drives him anywhere he needs to go is 65ish. I say this to say I need it right in order to let it leave.
It's a rwd 300 straight 6 with 50080 actual miles.

That's a great truck, had the exact same one, except 4x4.

It will be a E4OD.

You might want to check out the OD lock out switch on the controls. It's not much of a switch and it's failure would prevent it from shifting into OD.

Other than that I can't help you except to tell it's really hard to find a shop that will work on that particular transmission.

sniper22 sniper22 I dont have much to offer other than recommending that you check the wiring harness/channel where it comes out of the shifter and goes down the column. Pull the top half of the column cover off. Every one I had off on an E/F series truck, the wires werent protected and routed that well. I dont remember having to replace any but I do recall it being a cheesy wire routing. That may help the unresponsive OD button.

As for not communicating, it may be a harness plug/pin issue at the mlps or worst case a fried pcm.

Did you replace the mlps with the revised/updated version or did it already have it from the factory?

Call Brian’s Truck Shop (BTS transmission) Lead Hill ,Arkansas. He’s a Ford Trans Guru and is well known in the diesel truck world. You may have to leave a message but he WILL call you back. He will know and tell you what the problem is whether you use his rebuilding services or not. He’s a great guy.

You may know already, but there's a relatively new pull a part style lot open in Stockbridge. The name of the place is Gray and White, and since they aren't widely known yet it's a fairly quiet place. They've got several late model P71s with the exhaust you're looking for.

https://upull.grayandwhite.com//////////stockbridge-inventory/
Just don’t believe anything anyone at a Grey and White business tells you about any car or part.
They are all liars and crooks.

the employees at the grey and white on Bankhead hwy are total scum.
We bought a used engine from them.
Told us the vehicle it came from had xxx miles on it . The engine had a sticker with the VIN on it and it took is about eight seconds on my smartphone to get the car fax report that showed the car had 150,000 more miles on it than the dirt bags behind the counter were claiming .
Plus it looked like they dropped it off a truck, broken brackets , cracked valve covers etc.

sniper22 sniper22 I dont have much to offer other than recommending that you check the wiring harness/channel where it comes out of the shifter and goes down the column. Pull the top half of the column cover off. Every one I had off on an E/F series truck, the wires werent protected and routed that well. I dont remember having to replace any but I do recall it being a cheesy wire routing. That may help the unresponsive OD button.

As for not communicating, it may be a harness plug/pin issue at the mlps or worst case a fried pcm.

Did you replace the mlps with the revised/updated version or did it already have it from the factory?

New mlps. The previous shop said they swapped the computer and that the new one was also faulty and supposedly replaced it again but everything they supposedly did doesn't seem touched..
I can unplug either if or both of the harness plugs into the transmission and dont get any codes..

Back
Top Bottom