First attempt at baking bread.

Just took it out of the oven 15 minutes ago. Didn't expect it to take so long with the kneading, but now that I know the process it'll be easier to plan out next time. Going to try and replace store bought bread and bake my own from now on. It's amazing how few ingredients are in this compared to whats listed on the bags of bread.

View attachment 4063117

I started making it in 2015 when Sam's Club quit carrying a whole grain bread we liked. I rarely buy bread at the grocery store. I prefer to let it mix and rise in a bread machine and when it's finished, put it in a pan and bake it. If you want to cut down on sugar and don't mind a darker bread, use molasses 1:1. Molasses has 1/3 fewer carbs than white sugar. I have two machines now which streamlines the process.

With inflation, better load up on AP flour, whole wheat, and any cereals you may add as there could be shortages.

I would like to get one of the auto bread makers. You dump all the raw ingredients in, turn it on and in such amount of time it turns itself off and "shazam " you have a perfect delicious loaf of bread. My first wife's mom us we to make it at every dinner. There wouldn't be a slice left it was so good.
We have one. It makes pretty good bread, but no matter what we try, the outside crust is always as hard as a rock... inside is soft and perfectly risen.

You probably have one, but if not, we got a stand mixer for Christmas after breaking our arms mixing and kneading by hand. Most important if you're gonna make bread regularly. Looking to make an Irish Soda bread for St. Patrick's day.

We have one. It makes pretty good bread, but no matter what we try, the outside crust is always as hard as a rock... inside is soft and perfectly risen.
I use the machine to mix the ingredients and go through the two rises but use an oven to bake it in bread pans. I object to having machine-baked bread come out in a block unless I'm wanting Texas toast.

I use the machine to mix the ingredients and go through the two rises but use an oven to bake it in bread pans. I object to having machine-baked bread come out in a block unless I'm wanting Texas toast.
That's a good idea. I never liked digging the mixer out of the bottom of the loaf.

Think I'll give that a try. Thx!

You probably have one, but if not, we got a stand mixer for Christmas after breaking our arms mixing and kneading by hand. Most important if you're gonna make bread regularly. Looking to make an Irish Soda bread for St. Patrick's day.

I'll look into one later, but for now I'll keep doing it manually. Adding a mixer now just adds to the total cost of a loaf of bread and for me it cuts down on the savings for a long while. Maybe by the end of the year I'll look into one.

Back
Top Bottom