• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Firearms Inventory

So some of you guys are comfortable with a list of your guns and your address floating around in some insurance company database? With God knows who having access?
i'm way too paranoid for that. Maybe it's because of some of the folks I grew up around.
I do keep a logbook and photos of current guns, two sets, one in safe, one in sd box. Of course, like many of us, I have posted some stuff on the ODT, so there's that.

I tried to do this but ran out of memory on my terabyte external drive.
rp9zo.jpg

I count until I run out of fingers and/or toes. After the tragic boating accident that took everything I couldn't stop eating tacos to build my collection back up....seriously, I keep a mush simpler version on my 'puter and on a online hosting site (with pictures of both the "peacemakers" and receipts) as well as on a couple of flash drives stashed away here and there.

You guys might want to check out the online subscription to the Blue Book of gun values. Not only is it updated much more frequently than the yearly paper edition but it comes with a free online gun inventory database that is automatically updated for current values.
For example, my AR collection I used to have took a big hit in value when AR prices dropped...and one or two collectible guns jumped in value during the same period.
It’s simple to use and you can add all pertinent data including where it’s stored, where acquired, serial number, etc.
It also has numerous report options and ways to display or print the list.
Best of all you don’t have to be a spreadsheet guru to use it.
Works well for me.
And you have current gun values at your fingertips for trading decisions...on your phone, iPad, etc...not just for your collection but for guns you are considering for purchase or trade.
I have found their estimated values to be pretty accurate but I also confirm on Gunbroker sold ads...especially for collectibles.

Oh forgot to mention...you can add pictures too.

You guys might want to check out the online subscription to the Blue Book of gun values. Not only is it updated much more frequently than the yearly paper edition but it comes with a free online gun inventory database that is automatically updated for current values.
For example, my AR collection I used to have took a big hit in value when AR prices dropped...and one or two collectible guns jumped in value during the same period.
It’s simple to use and you can add all pertinent data including where it’s stored, where acquired, serial number, etc.
It also has numerous report options and ways to display or print the list.
Best of all you don’t have to be a spreadsheet guru to use it.
Works well for me.
And you have current gun values at your fingertips for trading decisions...on your phone, iPad, etc...not just for your collection but for guns you are considering for purchase or trade.
I have found their estimated values to be pretty accurate but I also confirm on Gunbroker sold ads...especially for collectibles.

Oh forgot to mention...you can add pictures too.

I'm sure it works for you, but I can just imagine liberal politicians thinking "OMG, voluntary gun registration. Copy that database for future reference".

I'm sure it works for you, but I can just imagine liberal politicians thinking "OMG, voluntary gun registration. Copy that database for future reference".

I understand your point but BLUE BOOK OF GUN VALUES is about as pro gun as any company I know.
I would hope they would be one of the last places to voluntarily surrender private customer files to big gov.
If we get to that point it’s game on anyway in my estimations.
The way I look at it they can just as easily access your pc and get your excel files if they want to...after all if that computer with those files is connected to the internet they can get it.

I understand your point but BLUE BOOK OF GUN VALUES is about as pro gun as any company I know.
I would hope they would be one of the last places to voluntarily surrender private customer files to big gov.
If we get to that point it’s game on anyway in my estimations.
The way I look at it they can just as easily access your pc and get your excel files if they want to...after all if that computer with those files is connected to the internet they can get it.

Exactly the reason that other than the ones I've shown on here, there is no electronic record of those I possess. Someone can always hack any database.
As long as you're comfortable with your system, that's all that matters. I just don't have a high level of confidence in computer security. This is what works for me.

Back
Top Bottom