• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Firearms Inventory

No need for any of this. Haven't you fellas heard? Uncle Sam's coming for them all sooner than later, one way or the other.

All BS aside, I told the wife no need to know what thay are or the value of. Simply hand them out between family members to pass on as long as possible. Most will have to jump through law hoops due to the trust issue. If family members want to sell them they deserve to be had (ripped off) because selling is not why I collect and or possess.

I use a very sophisticated method...Pen and paper...
FB5B5C22-E28C-485F-B3AB-82390C6B1DC5.jpeg

People don’t think about it but if you own more than 5 firearms than you should do the following :

1. Insurance ! Don’t be dumb . I see stories all the time of folks losing out cause their stuff is burnt up or stolen. Homeowners does not cover firearms most times .(I pay $1,268 a year for over $125,000 in coverage so don’t be a cheapskate either )

2. A detailed list along with a trusted person. You are going to die ... I promise . Now , not all of our significant others know everything we own. So don’t make their hard time harder when you die by not having your stuff together. Write a note , help them move on by thinking forward and being responsible.

My MG3 with tripod weighs more than my girlfriend does . She cannot move that crap. So , I have several contacts along with some money for expenses and an agreement so they get a cut . Just sell all the crap and give my family the money.

You would be shocked to discover how many people die and leave their family with zip. No life insurance , no will , no direction and no hope. Don’t do that . Plan now.

As for records I can account for every dime I’ve spent on gun stuff . I even keep round count if I buy it new . Nothing wrong with keeping good records

sovietak474u sovietak474u said it all.
I have a List of my Collection and all of it Insured as I can not replace any of it the way I got them.
I have instructions on how and where to go to Liquidate My collection and I update the values on the more expensive ones every 2 years (in case I die).
I have a friend who lost his entire collection in a Fire and his homeowners insurance did not cover any of them, that is why I got a Insurance rider on my Firearms.

I'm lucky! My brother, father and my children are all gun folks. We all know everything about each other's collections and how to dispose of things when the time comes. It serves us well to be open about everything because, well, let's face it the inevitable is going to happen sooner or later. Plus, it's not so much fun when you get a cool item and you can't openly share it with someone for one reason or another.

Since I don't have a high end collection of fancy Colts or anything like that, my insurance is a lot less than it could be. The biggest driver in doing my inventory, aside from the fact I needed it, was to help me remember what I have and don't have. In the heat of negotiation it's easy to forget a particular model and/or box condition or feature and I like having a quick reference on my phone to keep all that stuff straight.

Everyone's system will be different, but as you both stated it's just good to have a system for those that are still vertical when we're not.

I'm lucky! My brother, father and my children are all gun folks. We all know everything about each other's collections and how to dispose of things when the time comes. It serves us well to be open about everything because, well, let's face it the inevitable is going to happen sooner or later. Plus, it's not so much fun when you get a cool item and you can't openly share it with someone for one reason or another.

Since I don't have a high end collection of fancy Colts or anything like that, my insurance is a lot less than it could be. The biggest driver in doing my inventory, aside from the fact I needed it, was to help me remember what I have and don't have. In the heat of negotiation it's easy to forget a particular model and/or box condition or feature and I like having a quick reference on my phone to keep all that stuff straight.

Everyone's system will be different, but as you both stated it's just good to have a system for those that are still vertical when we're not.
You have a system at least . I know folks who just hide them all over and then they forget . I cannot do all that . Every 3 months I do the nasty by pulling all the guns out of the safes and I inspect/lubricate them to ensure rust does not show . Keep on keeping records

Back
Top Bottom