• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Doubled Up for My Boy - UPd 30 July 2023

new57

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
103   0
Reaction score
My boy has been fishing since he sported diapers crawling along the Hootch with me. This Spring he has started fishing in the kid fishing tournament events around the state. He placed 3rd, 4th, and 3rd but hadn't climbed atop the podium until today. 1st Place in his age group (11-15) heaviest fish (bass 1.22 lbs) and 1st Place heaviest total weight for 5 fish (5.2 lbs). He was SO excited to win! He landed 12 bass, lost 2 at the bank, and released 7 keeping 5 largest for weigh ins. He stalked the banks lapping the pond I think he said 12 times, making good casts and avoiding other lines set out (night crawlers, red wiggles, chicken livers) by other anglers, actively fishing for bass.

He had a good strategy and it paid off. He asked what would I do before the horn sounded to start the tournament and I asked him boy it's your tournament what will you do? He said active fishing walking the pond for bass. Yup. That'd be my plan. He was spot on. 10 bass landed between 830-10 AM.

Screenshot_20230429_165712_Gallery.jpg

Rock and Roll !!
WAY TO GO - Mega Congratulations are in order here !
Great picture too !

Thank you! Best smiles I've seen on his face in a minute!

Awesome he looks so happy too

Yes I don't know who was happier! LOL

That'll give Dad goosebumps! Congrats, young man.

He has been so close a few times it was awesome to see him put it all together for the wins. Just about every kid was passive fishing using worms or chicken liver. My boy was walking around the pond slinging his lure where it needed to be to get those bass interested.

great job ! Congrats !

Thank you!

Outstanding young man!

Thank you!

Congrats keep hammering those tight lines.

Thank you! My boy knew to make 3-4 casts and then move on a little ways further down. First cast basically on the bank, second cast a foot off the bank, third cast a few feet out, and the last was anywhere he thought he might get a strike. Some times he had hookup after hookup.

That’s awesome it’s great to see a young man that loves fishing

Right?!? Enthusiasm for the great outdoors! He has been fishing making casts since 2.

Absolutely outstanding! I love to see parents getting their kids out at that age developing some skills instead of wasting their life away on video games.

No worries here. LOL. I am 100% against electronics EXCEPT for practical, useful purposes. Radar map, communication, GPS, etc. Since he was born I have worked daily on trying to get the reality of real world vs fake, digital world instilled in him. It has been work for sure. Especially as he has gotten older. Because so many classmates have phoned, watch videos, and play video games. At school they talk about it and he is left out because he has no clue about it. And vice versa - when he speaks of tying different knots, fishing, hunting, etc. some odd his classmates and friends look at him like he is an alien. So trying to expose him to some of that crap without having him become brain dead and hooked on it is a balancing act. Fortunately he has some friends who like some of the outdoor activities 👍👍

Back
Top Bottom