• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FG knot update.

I think I may have figured out a solution. I'm going to tie a uni knot in front of the FG with a separate bit of braid and let it take the hit instead of the FG. The idea is that the uni will fail occasionally while protecting the FG. Then just tie another uni, which I can do blindfolded in about 30 seconds while on the water.

if the FG isnt working why not just use a different knot?
I've looked for others, but they all have the same problem of impacting the guides if you use a long leader. The others are even worse because they have a larger diameter. The impact weakens the fluoro or mono leader material. After a few dozen casts the knot breaks with the slightest pressure.

I think I may have figured out a solution. I'm going to tie a uni knot in front of the FG with a separate bit of braid and let it take the hit instead of the FG. The idea is that the uni will fail occasionally while protecting the FG. Then just tie another uni, which I can do blindfolded in about 30 seconds while on the water.
BTW, this did not work. The uni will not stay in place and slides randomly along the leader. I'm going to try a bobber stop bead next.

I've looked for others, but they all have the same problem of impacting the guides if you use a long leader. The others are even worse because they have a larger diameter. The impact weakens the fluoro or mono leader material. After a few dozen casts the knot breaks with the slightest pressure.
after a few dozen casts? your retying a dozen times a day then?

There are glues sold specifically for knots. I'm just too cheap so I've always swiped nail polish. These knots hold for throwing heavy weights out of sight into the surf all day long. It's a lot of force when you've got a long shock leader plus a full spool of powerpro and throw far enough to showing the backing.

I pull on the FG like crazy to make sure I tied it right.

Back
Top Bottom