• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FG knot update.

I'm hoping these bobber stops in front of the knot will solve the problem.

20230713_205755.jpg

I'm hoping these bobber stops in front of the knot will solve the problem.

View attachment 5952783
Well THAT didn't work. It drastically increased the damage to the leader. A 6lb leader broke at the knot on the third hard cast.

So much for the FG knot. The idea is that it's thin and can be reeled onto the rod, but then it fails due to impacts on the rod guides unless you are not doing long range casts. I'm amazed that more people don't know about this, but the word is getting out. I just wonder how many excellent fish will be lost before this becomes common knowledge.

I'm going to start experimenting with a double Uni that has fewer wraps and tightened down very hard to reduce diameter. I'm going to test strength every ten casts to see how long it will last.

I must say I don't get the leader thing. I use 20lbs power pro braid and tie jig heads and lures directly to the braid. Very seldom do I have breaks. If I splice line as in putting mono on before braid on my reels to stop spool slips I use the double uni knot. Of course to each his own, I just like things to be simple. Red was 40"

Attachments

• IMG_3084.JPG
    IMG_3084.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2391.JPG
    IMG_2391.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 6
I must say I don't get the leader thing. I use 20lbs power pro braid and tie jig heads and lures directly to the braid. Very seldom do I have breaks. If I splice line as in putting mono on before braid on my reels to stop spool slips I use the double uni knot. Of course to each his own, I just like things to be simple. Red was 40"
Also meant to say I really don't have "breaks" but do have larger reds run me over oyster rakes which really cuts the line, not much you can do about that.

For Line to line knot it's hard to beat a uni-uni. If you can tie an Albright knot correctly (I cant) it's a little stronger. The only 2 knots I use for anything are uni-uni and Palomar. When i lived in the keys I went down the rabbit hole of trying to get the FG correct but it's just so much easier and less time consuming to tie a Uni-uni.

Forgive my ignorance. I am not a salt water fisherman. I use barrel swivels and tie the main line to one end and the leader line to the other end. Slip sinker is on the main line . I fish for catfish. I use the improved clinch knot to attach to the swivel and a knot-less knot to attach the hook.

Forgive my ignorance. I am not a salt water fisherman. I use barrel swivels and tie the main line to one end and the leader line to the other end. Slip sinker is on the main line . I fish for catfish. I use the improved clinch knot to attach to the swivel and a knot-less knot to attach the hook.
Got ya! Well in your case that makes perfect sense. These salt guys like to fish with fluorocarbon leaders for some reason. I've seen too many of them break to suit me. Good fishing to you

Back
Top Bottom